Rising from ashes: Ground is broken for LDS Church's 2nd temple in Provo

By Sarah Jane Weaver

Deseret News

Published: Saturday, May 12 2012 12:00 a.m. MDT

Elder Holland then dedicated "already sacred ground for an even more sacred purpose — the construction of the Provo City Center Temple."

Sister Holland also spoke of the love for and deep ties her family has in the Provo community.

"Many of us here today were devastated to hear of the nature of the fire and destruction to this building just a few short years ago. I remember when I called to tell my children of this accident they wept. This was their stake center. This was their center of strength. … However, what we thought was devastation has, as with all things of the Lord, turned out to be a marvelous celebration this day."

Elder Clayton quoted the psalmist: "Weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning."

"We feel a great spirit of joy this day as we contemplate what lies ahead in this beautiful location," he said.

Elder Samuelson called the day a "grand experience" and "historic occasion."

"You know it is historic as we celebrate the beginnings of another new temple and historic as we recognize the blessing of the rebirth of the iconic Provo Tabernacle, literally rising from the ashes of a horrible fire to become a temple of the Lord."

He said the day was wonderful, not only for Provo, but also for BYU.

Elder Walker, executive director of the Temple Department, said the new temple is one of 29 temples that President Thomas S. Monson announced since he became president of the church a little more than four years ago. The temple will serve Latter-day Saints from 16 stakes in Provo and Springville.

"I think it is significant that this temple will be a blessing not just to the temple-going Latter-day Saints in this community; this will be a great blessing to the entire community of Provo and the surrounding communities. This truly is a sacred place and it is filled with great history."

After the dedication services, congregation members were allowed to also turn the soil at the groundbreaking site.

Many lingered at the site.

Jennifer King and her mother-in-law, Laura King, remained in their chairs long after the meeting ended.

"I don't want to go home," Jennifer said. "I want to sit here for awhile."

Email: sarah@desnews.com

Try out the new DeseretNews.com design!
try beta learn more
Get The Deseret News Everywhere