Stephen Brashear, Associated Press
Read more:Complete Deseret News coverage of game
SEATTLE (AP) — Fabian Espindola scored in the 51st minute and Real Salt Lake beat the Seattle Sounders 1-0 on Saturday night in a showdown for the Western Conference lead.
Salt Lake improved to 8-3-2, dropping Seattle to 7-2-1 and snapping the Sounders' franchise record-tying winning streak at five games in front of a season-high crowd of 39,312 — the third largest in Seattle MLS history. Seattle, coming off three consecutive shutouts, could have moved into first place with a victory.
Espindola scored on a left-footed shot from the center of the box to the bottom right corner. He returned after missing a 0-0 draw with Chicago on Wednesday night following the birth of his son.
RSL improved to 3-0-2 over the last five matches. Goalkeeper Nick Rimando didn't have to make any saves after missing the game against Chicago because of a shoulder injury.
Real Salt Lake outshot the Sounders 10-8.
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- Olympic gold-medal sailor tells of gunpoint...
- A look at Day 2 at French Open
- Lowry, DeRozan lead Raptors to 105-99 win...
- UCLA agrees to 15-year deal with Under Armour
- Atlanta, Miami, Los Angeles selected to host...
- Even before easy win, good day for Serena...
- Westbrook, Thunder put Warriors on brink of...
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 148
- Morning links: Broncos like Devontae... 68
- Brad Rock: BYU-Utah hoops are back... 50
- Rivalry renewed: BYU, Utah agree to a... 48
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 41
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 37
- Why can't we be friends? BYU-Utah fans... 28
- Video: 100 days until college football... 27