Salt Lake Bees win; Efren Navarro helping team from any spot in lineup
SALT LAKE CITY — Efren Navarro has hit here, there and seemingly everywhere for the Salt Lake Bees this season. Although he's batted clean-up for the past four games, the first baseman has been used in a team-high six different spots in the batting order — ranging from fourth to ninth.
"His approach at the plate has dictated that I put him in different positions — more so than his hits and his batting average and all that," said Bees manager Keith Johnson, who noted that Navarro is a guy who puts together good at-bats.
Constructing a lineup, Johnson explained, isn't necessarily based on who you think will get hits. It's more about certain situations that may arise during a game.
Navarro, he continued, is always going to make a pitcher work.
The 25-year-old slugger from Las Vegas insists, however, that it's all about just taking of business.
"Obviously if you're in the line-up you're in the lineup for a reason — to help the team win. That's what I plan to do," Navarro said. "It doesn't matter, obviously, where (Johnson) puts me. I feel comfortable getting my job done."
Navarro batted fourth in Salt Lake's 9-6 win over Round Rock Friday night at Spring Mobile Ballpark. He had a single and scored a run.
Over the past four games in the clean-up spot, Navarro has collected five hits.
SPECIAL GUEST: Actor Dennis Haskins, who played "Mr. Belding" on the show "Saved by the Bell," hosted "School Spirit Night" at the ballpark. The television principal threw out the ceremonial first pitch and was an on-field emcee during the game. He also signed autographs and posed for pictures.
"I really love coming here," said Haskins, who is a big Utah Jazz fan and has assisted with the annual U.S. Ski and Snowboard event at Deer Valley for several years. He also comes to town for the Sundance Film Festival.
Salt Lake City is one of the stops on his fourth annual "Mr. Belding's Boys of Summer Tour."
NOTEBOOK: The attendance was 6,023. ... Bees shortstop Ed Lucas extended his hit streak at home to 12 games, the longest run by a Salt Lake batter this season. ... The Bees open a four-game series with Albuquerque tonight. It's "Pack the Park Pink" with proceeds benefiting breast cancer research. ... Former University of Utah pitcher Stephen Fife is scheduled to start for Albuquerque on Monday.
- Jennifer Hamson to lace it up for BYU one...
- Injured Tyler Haws could play when BYU hosts...
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- Penn State sweeps BYU for a record seventh...
- The Cougars and their coach's ’stache...
- Dick Harmon: Execution, not words, will crown...
- Presto! Utah Jazz pull a magical 2nd win out...
- Brad Rock: Utes now look at bowl pairing from...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 61
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 40
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28
- Ready or not, Vegas: Here come the Utes 24