Ravell Call, Deseret News
SAN JOSE — The Utah Blaze arrive at a pivotal portion of the season riding a four-game win streak with their recent dismantling of Spokane in record-breaking form.
The Blaze (6-2) will need a similar performance on the road Friday against San Jose in the HP Pavilion. Kickoff is set for 8:30 p.m. MDT.
In the first matchup against the SaberCats (6-2) this season, Utah outlasted its division rivals, 60-59, at EnergySolutions Arena in a penalty-riddled game.
This time around, San Jose (No. 1) and Utah (No. 2) occupy the top two spots in the AFL Power Rankings, respectively. The Blaze should expect another chaotic offensive duel with the SaberCats, who lead the AFL in total offense (337.6 ypg) and passing offense (317.8 ypg), while ranking second in scoring offense (66.5 ppg).
The Blaze aren't exactly pushovers with the football, ranking fourth in total offense and third in passing and scoring offense under the guidance of quarterback Tommy Grady.
Grady tied an AFL record with 11 touchdown strikes last week and remains atop the leader's board in total offensive touchdowns (67) and passing touchdowns (61). Aaron Lesue boosted his AFL-best touchdown receptions to 30 after hauling in five TDs last week.
- WNBA undefeated: Lynx host Sparks for 20th...
- Cleveland set to hold parade for NBA champion...
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 68
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 24
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 23
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 13