Mike Stobe, Getty Images for New York Red Bu
HARRISON, N.J. — Kenny Cooper scored his eighth goal of the season and the injury-riddled New York Red Bulls beat the Houston Dynamo on Wednesday night for their third straight 1-0 victory.
The Red Bulls have won six of their last eight games to improve to 6-3-1.
Cooper scored in the seventh minute. He got the ball inside the box, but lost it to a Houston defender who tried to tap it back to goaltender Tally Hall. Cooper beat Hall to it and easily put it past him.
New York star Thierry Henry, the team leader with nine goals, sat out his second straight game because of a strained right hamstring.
Houston dropped to 2-3-2. The Dynamo ended a seven-game trip as they prepare to open their new stadium.
SOUNDERS 2, FC DALLAS 0: At Frisco, Texas, Fredy Montero scored twice in a 3-minute span to lead Seattle to its fifth consecutive victory.
Seattle improved to 6-1-1. Dallas is 0-3-2 in its last five games and 3-5-3 overall.
After Dallas controlled the ball for most of the first 68 minutes, Seattle's Cordell Cato won a battle in the home team's end and sent the ball toward the right corner of the goal.
Montero maneuvered around defenders Matt Hedges and Hernan Pertuz and shot just inside the right post to beat goalkeeper Kevin Hartman on his short side from 15 yards out.
Montero's second goal came in the 71st minute on a short right-footed shot from in front of the net.
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- Red and Blue Recruits: BYU's new commit gets...
- Records fall as BYU, Chase Fischer shoot past...
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's season of...
- BYU football: After initial struggles,...
- High school boys basketball: 5A team-by-team...
- High school basketball: Tuesday's roundup
- Brotherhood: Vigil brothers have been driving...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 160
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 93
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 66
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 48
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 47
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 40
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 37
- Utes on the verge of a winning Pac-12... 30