Mike Stobe, Getty Images for New York Red Bu
HARRISON, N.J. — Kenny Cooper scored his eighth goal of the season and the injury-riddled New York Red Bulls beat the Houston Dynamo on Wednesday night for their third straight 1-0 victory.
The Red Bulls have won six of their last eight games to improve to 6-3-1.
Cooper scored in the seventh minute. He got the ball inside the box, but lost it to a Houston defender who tried to tap it back to goaltender Tally Hall. Cooper beat Hall to it and easily put it past him.
New York star Thierry Henry, the team leader with nine goals, sat out his second straight game because of a strained right hamstring.
Houston dropped to 2-3-2. The Dynamo ended a seven-game trip as they prepare to open their new stadium.
SOUNDERS 2, FC DALLAS 0: At Frisco, Texas, Fredy Montero scored twice in a 3-minute span to lead Seattle to its fifth consecutive victory.
Seattle improved to 6-1-1. Dallas is 0-3-2 in its last five games and 3-5-3 overall.
After Dallas controlled the ball for most of the first 68 minutes, Seattle's Cordell Cato won a battle in the home team's end and sent the ball toward the right corner of the goal.
Montero maneuvered around defenders Matt Hedges and Hernan Pertuz and shot just inside the right post to beat goalkeeper Kevin Hartman on his short side from 15 yards out.
Montero's second goal came in the 71st minute on a short right-footed shot from in front of the net.
- AP source: Irving, Barnes finish US Olympic...
- Federer out to turn around frustrating season...
- With 1-0 loss to Colombia, US finishes 4th in...
- Ipsen, Hixon get Olympic 3-meter spots,...
- National champion Sam Mikulak leads US men's...
- Past few days 'difficult' for former...
- Defending champ Serena Williams at Wimbledon...
- Chile wins 2nd straight Copa America title as...
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 168
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 81
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 50
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 49
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- Utah Jazz plan to be 'active' during... 24
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 20