The U.S. Army All-American Bowl has nominated five high school football players from Utah for the 2013 game this January in San Antonio.
The committee, which includes regional coaches from around the country as well as Rivals.com, nominated 400 athletes from around the country. It will whittle the list down to 90 players throughout the football season this fall.
The five juniors from Utah hoping to make the cut include a pair of quarterbacks, a pair of lineman and a defensive back. They are Woods Cross' Sean Barton (DB), Cottonwood's Cooper Bateman (QB), Logan's Luke Falk (QB), Bingham's Lowell Lotulelei (DL) and Pine View's Logan Stott (OL).
The final 90 players selected will participate in the East-West match-up on Saturday, Jan. 5 in a game that will be televised nationally on NBC.
Nobody from Utah participated in the game in 2012, but the year before both Bingham's Harvey Langi and American Fork's Ryker Mathews were members of the West squad.
Past local participants in the Army All-American Bowl are: Brighton's Ricky Heimuli (2010), Bingham's Austin Holt (2008), Cottonwood's Lynn Katoa (2008), Bingham's Justin Sorensen (2008), Cottonwood's Simi Fili (2007), Timpview's Matt Reynolds (2005), Hunter's Ray Feinga (2004) and Highland's Haloti Ngata (2002).
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- Utah football: Utes to take on a familiar...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- Utah State infographic: Aggies' Keeton...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 59
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 29
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28