The U.S. Army All-American Bowl has nominated five high school football players from Utah for the 2013 game this January in San Antonio.
The committee, which includes regional coaches from around the country as well as Rivals.com, nominated 400 athletes from around the country. It will whittle the list down to 90 players throughout the football season this fall.
The five juniors from Utah hoping to make the cut include a pair of quarterbacks, a pair of lineman and a defensive back. They are Woods Cross' Sean Barton (DB), Cottonwood's Cooper Bateman (QB), Logan's Luke Falk (QB), Bingham's Lowell Lotulelei (DL) and Pine View's Logan Stott (OL).
The final 90 players selected will participate in the East-West match-up on Saturday, Jan. 5 in a game that will be televised nationally on NBC.
Nobody from Utah participated in the game in 2012, but the year before both Bingham's Harvey Langi and American Fork's Ryker Mathews were members of the West squad.
Past local participants in the Army All-American Bowl are: Brighton's Ricky Heimuli (2010), Bingham's Austin Holt (2008), Cottonwood's Lynn Katoa (2008), Bingham's Justin Sorensen (2008), Cottonwood's Simi Fili (2007), Timpview's Matt Reynolds (2005), Hunter's Ray Feinga (2004) and Highland's Haloti Ngata (2002).
- High school football: Top 25 preseason rankings
- ACC media days has some interesting tidbits...
- Some fringe Jazz players opened eyes in Vegas
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to expand,...
- BYU football: Alani Fua may be next Cougar...
- Brain injury changes the lives and tests the...
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is an...
- Former BYU defensive lineman Eathyn...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 167
- Report: Former BYU guard Jimmer... 73
- BYU freshman linebacker reportedly... 72
- BYU's Jamaal Williams, Utah State's Joe... 58
- Peavler: Arizona vice president of... 52
- ACC media days has some interesting... 35
- Brad Rock: Decades later, equality... 30
- Watch list roundup: 22 local players... 26