SALT LAKE CITY — The Los Angeles Angels were struck with two injuries in the final inning of Sunday's game, shaking up not only their own roster but Salt Lake's as well.
Right-handed pitcher David Pauley was recalled to the Angels to replace LaTroy Hawkins, who was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a broken pinkie on his throwing hand.
Pauley, who signed a minor league contract in late March, owned a stellar 2.29 ERA in 19 2/3 innings this season for the Bees prior to the recall.
Sean White from Seattle, replaced Pauley on the Salt Lake roster and pitched two innings Tuesday night as the Bees fell 11-9 to Round Rock the team's fifth-straight loss.
White, 30, was biding his time at home, throwing bullpen sessions and working out before his agent informed him of the need in Salt Lake.
He packed his things on Monday and hopped a flight to Las Vegas, throwing on a jersey and joining the ranks after the Bees had already begun the game.
"I figured it would be something that would happen quickly and that I would have to move shortly after," he said of the transaction. "I keep my belongings close and a small suitcase … ready for whenever the call comes."
The Atlanta Braves drafted the 6-foot-4 right-hander in the eighth round of the 2003 amateur draft. He made his major league debut on April 4, 2008, with the Seattle Mariners.
White's best season came in 2009, in which he amassed a 1.08 WHIP and 2.80 ERA in 64 innings as a relief pitcher. In 2010, he suffered a shoulder injury and posted poor figures as a result.
Unable to repeat the success of 2009, he was outrighted to the minors, where he spent his 2011 season with Colorado Springs, appearing in 53 games. He posted an ugly 5.68 ERA and 1.85 WHIP.
After the 2011 season, he spent spring training with the Red Sox before heading home as a free agent.
Despite the slight downturn, he maintains a positive attitude.
"Right now, I'm excited to be here … excited to play," he said. "I'll take it one game at a time and see how things go. It will be fun to get back on the mound."
He's proven capable and may be able to work back into a season similar to 2009.
White's big league career consists of 134 innings, all with the Mariners, posting a 4.16 ERA.
NOTEBOOK: RHP Matt Shoemaker made his seventh start of the season Tuesday. ... Ryan Langerhans received his 26th walk of the season in Monday's game, which leads the Pacific Coast League. ... The Bees' have been swept in two of the last three series. They struggled through a season-low three hits on Monday. ... Tonight marks the beginning of the first round of interconference play around the PCL.
- Football legend Brett Favre drops in on Alta...
- Final preseason breakdown of BYU, Utah and...
- Peavler: Final preseason breakdown of BYU,...
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah players take blame like...
- BYU's Bronson Kaufusi eager to display new...
- BYU assistant football coach is also Bishop...
- BYU camp report: Taysom Hill throws a pair of...
- Deseret News previews of all 103 varsity...
- College football: BYU, Utah State... 139
- Travis Wilson edges out Kendal Thompson... 102
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real... 80
- Guest commentary: It’s OK if BYU... 74
- Dick Harmon: Will Utah State, BYU be... 46
- Dick Harmon: Offensive line play will... 45
- BYU football: Cougars agree to... 33
- BYU's offense 'too sloppy' in scrimmage 29