Concerning many citizens' assertion that somehow substantial monetary accumulation by a presidential candidate is a liability, I would remind people of our first president, George Washington. It is estimated that he was worth $525 million, or about 2 percent of the total U.S. budget in 1789.
Maybe replacing Washington with someone like James Buchanan, a bachelor with few dollars in his pocket, on Mount Rushmore would be logical with this type of reasoning.
- Robert Bennett: Obama has his own 'killer...
- In our opinion: Labor Day revisited
- Drew Clark: Religious freedom is more than a...
- John Hoffmire: Monied interests and democracy
- In our opinion: Trouble on tap? Colleges...
- On second thought
- Charles Krauthammer: Solution to inversion is...
- In our opinion: A slippery 'immoral' Tweet
- Drew Clark: Religious freedom is more... 48
- In our opinion: A slippery 'immoral' Tweet 46
- Charles Krauthammer: Solution to... 39
- Letter: Society puzzles 33
- Robert Bennett: Obama has his own... 28
- Americans are changing their tune on... 27
- In our opinion: Par for the president 24
- In our opinion: Trouble on tap?... 24