Concerning many citizens' assertion that somehow substantial monetary accumulation by a presidential candidate is a liability, I would remind people of our first president, George Washington. It is estimated that he was worth $525 million, or about 2 percent of the total U.S. budget in 1789.
Maybe replacing Washington with someone like James Buchanan, a bachelor with few dollars in his pocket, on Mount Rushmore would be logical with this type of reasoning.
- Letter: Disregarding liberty, laws 52
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 41
- Letter: Trump’s chances 35
- Richard Davis: Time to fix Obamacare... 29
- Dan Liljenquist: Time to relegate the... 27
- Letter: Patriotism has not died 24
- Neil Flinders: Keeping track of school... 21
- My view: Poor federal stewardship... 20