Darron Cummings, Associated Press
It's official: Sen. Richard Lugar, R-Ind., lost Tuesday's Republican primary in Indiana.
"Lugar — the longest-serving senator in Indiana history — will lose his Republican Senate primary on Tuesday to state Treasurer Richard Mourdock, CBS News projected Tuesday evening.
Meanwhile, Sen. Orrin Hatch — like Lugar, Hatch is running for a seventh term — is doing all he can to ensure he doesn't suffer a similar fate in Utah's primary on June 26. Indeed, the Lugar loss inevitably brings Hatch into a discussion about the political survival of tenured senators, given that Lugar and Hatch both joined the U.S. Senate on Jan. 3, 1977, and have even publicly squabbled with each other over which one of the two is higher in terms of Senate seniority among Republicans.
In August, the Deseret News examined the re-election prospects of Lugar and Hatch. Lugar's political director said at the time, "We're way out in front of where this is going to go."
As recently as a month ago, popular opinion held that Lugar would find a way to prevail over Mourdock. Bloomberg Politics, for example, opined on April 17 that "It would be unusual if either (Lugar or Hatch) lost."
Hatch's opponent in the June primary is Dan Liljenquist. Two weeks ago, Politico's Charlie Mahtesian wrote, "While Hatch is the solid favorite to win the June 26 primary, when the broader Republican electorate will be more favorably inclined toward him than the small base of convention attendees, hes not home free."
- Smithfield teen makes Valentine's Day special...
- Scalia's death leaves major void in high...
- France bestows highest honor on Utah veteran
- Giant Kennecott dump trucks are sporting an...
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain from...
- Logan man killed in Idaho car crash
- Race heating up as congressional Democrats...
- 3 seriously injured in multi-vehicle crash on...
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain... 40
- Manti man indicted in Oregon... 36
- Scalia's death leaves major void in... 32
- IRS raids properties with possible... 21
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- State: EPA didn't clue in Utah on San... 12
- Summit County wants rewrite of Bishop's... 11