Controversial Rev. Jeremiah Wright reaches out to drifting youths
Our take: Rev. Jeremiah Wright, former pastor at Chicago's Trinity United Church of Christ, is best known for being the pastor of President Barack Obama for nearly two decades. Following Obama's election, Wright has not had as strong of a presence until he recently decided to speak at a Washington, D.C., conference, along with other pastors, about reaching out to engage young Christians who are straying from organized religion.
Jeremiah Wright: Lightning rod. Jeremiah Wright: Youth leader?
The lightning rod pastor has been largely out of the public eye in recent years, but on Tuesday will be addressing a conference in DC about how to reach young Christians who have drifted from the institutional church.
The Rev. Amy Butler, who leads the large, progressive Calvary Baptist Church, said Wrights voice is an important one, particularly for young Christians. The controversy that engulfed him during the 2008 presidential race, Butler said, allows him to attract people who are talking and thinking about cutting edge ideas in the church in general.
For decades Wright was the leader of the Chicago-based, 6,000-member Trinity United Church of Christ, but retired in May 2008. According to his bio, he now spends time preaching, teaching and leading study tours to Africa, Brazil and the Caribbean.
Read more about Rev. Jeremiah Wright's youth endeavor at The Washington Post.
- Defending the Faith: The Book of Mormon...
- LDS sister missionary from Kaysville killed...
- Sister Linda K. Burton writes about emotional...
- Praying together to stay together? The role...
- How Darwin Day has evolved in the U.S.
- Understanding DNA testing in family history
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir announces virtual...
- David Archuleta says ‘most fulfilling...
- Defending the Faith: The Book of Mormon... 68
- Darwin Day notwithstanding, evolution... 21
- LDS sister missionary from Kaysville... 14
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir announces 7... 8
- Bernie Sanders supported religious... 8
- How Darwin Day has evolved in the U.S. 8
- Evangelical leaders denounce Selective... 6
- ... 4