The advocate described a private meeting Biden had with about 30 gay and lesbian supporters in Los Angeles earlier this spring. When the vice president was asked about his personal views of gay marriage, the advocate said Biden told supporters that when his views differ from the president's, he often has to keep his opinions to himself.
This person spoke on condition of anonymity because participants at the meeting agreed not to discuss publicly what was said at the private gathering.
Biden did mention the Los Angeles event in his interview Sunday. He said that after meeting the children of the gay couple hosting the event, he told them he wished "every American could see the look of love those kids has in their eyes for you guys. And they wouldn't have any doubt about what this is about."
Follow Julie Pace at http://twitter.com/jpaceDC
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday...
- 50 things you might not know about 15 of your...
- TV Review: Broadway wins in live 'Sound of...
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela
- 'Sound of Music' alive for 18.5 million viewers
- Obama administration will allow green energy...
- Former South African President Nelson Mandela...
- 7 in 10 will need long-term care, ready or not
- Obama: Income inequality a defining... 105
- Court: Mormon church, members not... 34
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's... 31
- Fast-food strikes return amid push for... 31
- Colorado court hears discrimination... 28
- Fast food outlets planning strike for... 25
- Research: Native American genes have... 23
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela 23