TORONTO (AP) — Chris Pontius and Hamdi Salihi scored second-half goals and D.C. United beat Toronto FC 2-0 on Saturday, relegating the Reds to the worst start in MLS history at 0-8-0.
Toronto broke the record of 0-7-0 set by Kansas City in 1999. The league record for the longest overall losing streak is 12 by the New York-New Jersey MetroStars in 1999.
Pontius curled a left-footer past the diving Milos Kocic in the 55th minute, and Salihi scored in the 75th after Toronto failed to clear a corner kick. D.C. United improved to 5-3-3.
SOUNDERS 1, UNION 0: At Seattle, Mauro Rosales scored in the 63rd minute, and Bryan Meredith had a shutout in his first Major League Soccer start in Seattle's victory over Philadelphia.
RED BULLS 1, GALAXY 0: At Carson, Calif., Joel Lindpere scored to help the New York Red Bulls win their first game since scoring star Thierry Henry was injured, 1-0 over the Los Angeles Galaxy.
WHITECAPS 2, EARTHQUAKES 1: At Vancouver, British Columbia, second-half substitute Eric Hassli scored in the final minute of added time to give Vancouver a comeback victory over San Jose.
IMPACT 2, SPORTING KANSAS CITY 0: At Kansas City, Kan., Felipe Martins scored in the 30th minute, Patrice Bernier converted a penalty kick in the 63rd and expansion Montreal beat Sporting Kansas City.
COLUMBUS, 0, PORTLAND 0:At Portland Timbers goalkeeper Troy Perkins knocked Josh William's header over the bar in the 66th minute to keep the Columbus Crew at bay in a scoreless draw Saturday night.
- Roger Federer says he is out for Olympics,...
- Mickelson not close to being over runner-up...
- College Football Playoff moves most future...
- Olympic organizers suspect 'isolated'...
- Cavaliers re-sign veteran forward Richard...
- Jimmy Walker opens with 65 at stifling PGA;...
- Akpom scores deciding goal as Arsenal tops...
- Streb shoots 63 and joins Walker in lead at PGA
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 64
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 58
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 52
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 35
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 20