High school baseball: Logan Meyer, Broncos avenge last year's loss to Wolves
MIDVALE — San Juan took down Enterprise and South Sevier at Hillcrest High to advance to the quarterfinals in the 2A state playoffs.
San Juan entered the day expecting its first-round matchup to be the tougher of the two games they would play.
"Our kids wanted Enterprise after losing to them last year," said San Juan coach Charlie Taylor.
San Juan's 6-4 victory over Enterprise was particularly meaningful for Logan Meyer.
"(The win) was huge," he said. "I lost pretty badly pitching against them last year so it felt good. I couldn't do it without my team."
In the second game, San Juan matched up with South Sevier after the Rams downed Rowland Hall, 15-5, in six innings. San Juan got off to a fast start, scoring five runs in the first inning. The Broncos continued that trend, scoring two, six, and two runs over the next three innings. Meyer pitched three strong innings for the Broncos before Barkley Christensen was called in to finish off South Sevier.
San Juan earned a 15-1 victory when all was said and done.
"The nice thing about being San Juan is that we play doubleheaders all the time," said Taylor. Meyer echoed his coach's thoughts, saying that playing doubleheaders all season helps the team get mentally and emotionally prepared.
Even with the lopsided loss, South Sevier isn't throwing in the towel. Brayden Palmer says that his team is going to work hard to get ready for its next game.
"I personally believe that if we show up and put in the work we can back into it," Palmer said.
In the consolation game, Enterprise notched a 14-0 victory over Rowland Hall to stay alive in the tournament.
The next round of games will commence Thursday with South Sevier playing Grand at 11 a.m. at Dixie High and San Juan facing Gunnison at 1:30 p.m. at Bruce Hurst Field on the campus of Dixie State.
Enterprise and Manti will square off at Pine View High at 1:30 p.m.
At Dixie State
Millard (17-6) vs. Emery (15-7), 11 a.m.
Gunnison (21-2) vs. San Juan (12-8), 1:30 p.m.
South Sevier (7-12) vs. Grand (11-12), 11 a.m., at Dixie High
Beaver (15-7) vs. Kanab (10-10), 11 a.m., at Pine View
Note: Winners play at 4:30 p.m.
ALA (10-6) vs. Richfield (14-8), 1:30 p.m., at Dixie High
Manti (9-8) vs. Enterprise (15-8), 1:30 p.m., at Pine View
Note: Winners play at 7 p.m.
- Cougars looking for special season with...
- Cougars football team undergoing reality...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars'...
- BYU football: Ranking the most important...
- NFL cuts tracker: Former BYU wide receiver...
- The Utah football 100: Ranking the best...
- 2015 Heisman Trophy tracker, preseason...
- BYU's Mendenhall on the cusp of embarking on...
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 86
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 63
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 31
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU... 28
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 28
- Doug Robinson: No days off on Utes'... 26
- Morning links: Can Cougars snap... 26
- High school football: Parry's Power... 23