High school baseball: Logan Meyer, Broncos avenge last year's loss to Wolves
MIDVALE — San Juan took down Enterprise and South Sevier at Hillcrest High to advance to the quarterfinals in the 2A state playoffs.
San Juan entered the day expecting its first-round matchup to be the tougher of the two games they would play.
"Our kids wanted Enterprise after losing to them last year," said San Juan coach Charlie Taylor.
San Juan's 6-4 victory over Enterprise was particularly meaningful for Logan Meyer.
"(The win) was huge," he said. "I lost pretty badly pitching against them last year so it felt good. I couldn't do it without my team."
In the second game, San Juan matched up with South Sevier after the Rams downed Rowland Hall, 15-5, in six innings. San Juan got off to a fast start, scoring five runs in the first inning. The Broncos continued that trend, scoring two, six, and two runs over the next three innings. Meyer pitched three strong innings for the Broncos before Barkley Christensen was called in to finish off South Sevier.
San Juan earned a 15-1 victory when all was said and done.
"The nice thing about being San Juan is that we play doubleheaders all the time," said Taylor. Meyer echoed his coach's thoughts, saying that playing doubleheaders all season helps the team get mentally and emotionally prepared.
Even with the lopsided loss, South Sevier isn't throwing in the towel. Brayden Palmer says that his team is going to work hard to get ready for its next game.
"I personally believe that if we show up and put in the work we can back into it," Palmer said.
In the consolation game, Enterprise notched a 14-0 victory over Rowland Hall to stay alive in the tournament.
The next round of games will commence Thursday with South Sevier playing Grand at 11 a.m. at Dixie High and San Juan facing Gunnison at 1:30 p.m. at Bruce Hurst Field on the campus of Dixie State.
Enterprise and Manti will square off at Pine View High at 1:30 p.m.
At Dixie State
Millard (17-6) vs. Emery (15-7), 11 a.m.
Gunnison (21-2) vs. San Juan (12-8), 1:30 p.m.
South Sevier (7-12) vs. Grand (11-12), 11 a.m., at Dixie High
Beaver (15-7) vs. Kanab (10-10), 11 a.m., at Pine View
Note: Winners play at 4:30 p.m.
ALA (10-6) vs. Richfield (14-8), 1:30 p.m., at Dixie High
Manti (9-8) vs. Enterprise (15-8), 1:30 p.m., at Pine View
Note: Winners play at 7 p.m.
- Gordon Hayward looks to get better at...
- 2015 Deseret News NFL Mock Draft: Wide...
- National experts weigh in on the BYU Cougars'...
- Amy Donaldson: South Summit High community...
- Utahns in baseball: BYU alum Jaycob Brugman's...
- Utah Jazz: Derrick Favors continues to make...
- BYU offense looking to move the ball, put up...
- Analysis: Utah Jazz will be better, but will...
- Brad Rock: BYU's window is closing; big... 101
- Little offense as main players sit out... 98
- Ultimate football road trips:... 48
- Brighton wide receiver Simi Fehoko... 42
- Morning links: Duke in pursuit of Lone... 42
- BYU offense looking to move the ball,... 30
- Dave Rose hires May as BYU's director... 13
- Pittsburgh to hire Utah State Athletic... 11