If Corbin and the Jazz continue to improve in the years to come, a Coach of the Year award could very well be in his future.
But I have to think the honor should generally be reserved for a coach whose team surprises the so-called experts and over-achieves, or manages to overcome some difficult adversity and still keeps winning.
And it shouldn't go to a guy like Popovich, whose teams win 50 to 60-plus games every year and have had a couple of future Hall of Famers on their roster every year since the late 1990s.
Go ahead and give that guy the Lifetime Achievement Award — he definitely deserves it — and save the Coach of the Year honor for somebody who actually won big or had a successful season when he really wasn't supposed to.
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- Dick Harmon: John Beck very impressed with...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle Whittingham...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- BYU's worldwide fan base highlighted in...
- Brad Rock: Jazz dreaming of a Blazing future
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 103
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 75
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 64
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 45
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog:... 27