Ravell Call, Deseret News
PARK CITY — Skullcandy Inc., which makes headphones and other accessories emblazoned with a skull logo and went public in July, said Wednesday that its first-quarter net income rose 6 percent, topping analyst expectations.
Net income for the three months, which ended March, 31 rose to $1.1 million, or 4 cents per share, from $1 million, or 8 cents per share, last year. The difference in per share figures is due to a 42 percent jump in shares outstanding to 27.9 million during the quarter. Excluding costs related to litigation with Monster Cable Products that was settled in February, net income was 5 cents per share, a penny more than analysts expected, according to a poll by FactSet.
Revenue rose 48 percent to $53.3 million from $36 million last year. Analysts expected $44.2 million in revenue.
Looking forward, Skullcandy expects net income of $1.10 to $1.20 per share, excluding costs related to the litigation with Monster Cable. It predicts revenue of $280 million to $300 million.
Analysts expect net income of $1.15 per share on revenue of $288 million.
Skullcandy, based in Park City, Utah, makes fancy headphones, decorative iPod cases and T-shirts emblazoned with its skull logo sold in electronics, sporting goods and mobile phone stores, as well as by mass retailers such as Target and Best Buy. After its July IPO, it took a hit in March when the company's chief financial officer and general counsel resigned to "pursue other opportunities."
Shares fell $1.01, or 6.1 percent, to $15.64 during aftermarket trading, after closing the day up 25 cents at $16.65.
- About Utah: They're best in the world
- 3 tips for traveling cheaply
- Survey finds fewer women working now than in...
- Fox News blocked from Dish Network
- What people never mention when they talk...
- Survey says parents spend $532.87 a month to...
- California puzzles over safety of driverless...
- Big changes coming to Cuba tourism with US...
- NYC premiere of Rogen film 'The... 8
- US consumer prices fall in November 4
- Sony hack adds to security pressure on... 3
- What people never mention when they... 3
- Survey finds fewer women working now... 3
- About Utah: They're best in the world 3
- US current account deficit rises to... 1
- Incoming Senate Majority Leader Mitch... 1