What else to run on with 1.7 percent GDP growth (2011), record long-term joblessness and record 8 percent-plus unemployment (38 consecutive months, as of this writing)? Slice and dice, group against group.
There is a problem, however. It makes a mockery of Obama's pose as the great transcender, uniter, healer of divisions. This is the man who sprang from nowhere with that thrilling 2004 convention speech declaring that there is "not a black America and white America and Latino America and Asian America; there's the United States of America."
That was then. Today, we are just sects with quarrels — to be exploited for political advantage. And Obama is just the man to fulfill Al Gore's famous mistranslation of our national motto: Out of one, many.
Charles Krauthammer's email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Kathleen Parker: The GOP's toxic messaging
- In our opinion: U.S. schools still separate...
- George F. Will: Why Iran should be contained
- Nelson Mandela left legacy of freedom and faith
- In our opinion: Letting Afghanistan revert to...
- Richard Davis: Don't turn A.G. into an...
- About Utah: His business is fun, games and...
- In our opinion: U.S. schools still... 43
- Robert J. Samuelson: Economics lacks... 40
- Kathleen Parker: The GOP's toxic messaging 40
- Charles Krauthammer: The real problem... 37
- Letter: Preventative care 29
- Robert Bennett: 'Nuclear option' ends... 27
- In our opinion: Pioneer Park progress... 16
- About Utah: His business is fun, games... 15