Linda and Richard Eyre are to be applauded for standing up to media violence ("Stemming the tide of gun violence," April 29). However, the adage "guns kill people" needs to be put to rest. Guns are inanimate objects. They do not kill people any more than cars or swimming pools kill people.
It is only through the negligent, accidental or malicious actions of a human being that a gun can be deadly. Enacting more strict gun control is not the answer. Criminals will always find a way to circumvent the law, while law-abiding citizens will be put at a dangerous disadvantage. Statistics show that jurisdictions with lax gun ownership laws have dramatically lower violent crime rates.
Criminals are not as prone to act, knowing that others may be armed.
- Senate defeats Obama in Justice nod
- Letter: Religious freedom
- In our opinion: Maintaining balance
- Doug Robinson: Utah man discovers powerful...
- My view: Adoption legislation: Children...
- Jay Evensen: Don't mess with a great Utah...
- Sen. Ted Cruz opens 2014 CPAC with...
- Dan Liljenquist: Count My Vote: Compromise...
- Letter: Minimum Wage insufficient 63
- Has Obama's foreign policy emboldened... 62
- Jay Evensen: Obama could use a dose of... 60
- Letter: Religious freedom 37
- Obama's biggest test: Ukraine 33
- Robert Bennett: Keystone: What... 32
- Michael Gerson: The GOP needs to... 22
- Letter: Reclassify ISPs as common carriers 19