Linda and Richard Eyre are to be applauded for standing up to media violence ("Stemming the tide of gun violence," April 29). However, the adage "guns kill people" needs to be put to rest. Guns are inanimate objects. They do not kill people any more than cars or swimming pools kill people.
It is only through the negligent, accidental or malicious actions of a human being that a gun can be deadly. Enacting more strict gun control is not the answer. Criminals will always find a way to circumvent the law, while law-abiding citizens will be put at a dangerous disadvantage. Statistics show that jurisdictions with lax gun ownership laws have dramatically lower violent crime rates.
Criminals are not as prone to act, knowing that others may be armed.
- Jay Evensen: Birthright citizenship —...
- In our opinion: EPA failed its protection...
- In our opinion: Trump's all-inclusive...
- Dan Liljenquist: Charter schools provide...
- Letter: Stimulate the economy
- My view: European view of American soft power
- A. Scott Anderson: SBA — a critical...
- Letter: Appalling attitude
- In our opinion: Trump's all-inclusive... 58
- In our opinion: Security with Clinton's... 45
- Richard Davis: What can Republicans do... 43
- Jay Evensen: Birthright citizenship... 42
- My view: Don’t expand Medicaid... 36
- My view: No matter who pays the bill,... 35
- Letter: Earning his votes 31
- Letter: Stimulate the economy 26