Linda and Richard Eyre are to be applauded for standing up to media violence ("Stemming the tide of gun violence," April 29). However, the adage "guns kill people" needs to be put to rest. Guns are inanimate objects. They do not kill people any more than cars or swimming pools kill people.
It is only through the negligent, accidental or malicious actions of a human being that a gun can be deadly. Enacting more strict gun control is not the answer. Criminals will always find a way to circumvent the law, while law-abiding citizens will be put at a dangerous disadvantage. Statistics show that jurisdictions with lax gun ownership laws have dramatically lower violent crime rates.
Criminals are not as prone to act, knowing that others may be armed.
- Facts about the Boy Scouts of America
- My view: MMR vaccine caused my son's autism
- White House press corps has been turned into...
- Commentary claims liberals are shocked by...
- Michael Gerson: Common Core standards are not...
- Dan Liljenquist: IRS scandal is an assault on...
- George F. Will: Obama takes a page from...
- Letters: No welfare, ever
- Letters: No welfare, ever 78
- Letters: Move to the center 37
- Tolerance and the same-sex marriage debate 34
- My view: Why moderates lost the caucus... 33
- Dan Liljenquist: IRS scandal is an... 32
- Richard Davis: Abortion laws should... 29
- Letters: Dismantle IRS 25
- Robert J. Samuelson: Can Americans stem... 21