Linda and Richard Eyre are to be applauded for standing up to media violence ("Stemming the tide of gun violence," April 29). However, the adage "guns kill people" needs to be put to rest. Guns are inanimate objects. They do not kill people any more than cars or swimming pools kill people.
It is only through the negligent, accidental or malicious actions of a human being that a gun can be deadly. Enacting more strict gun control is not the answer. Criminals will always find a way to circumvent the law, while law-abiding citizens will be put at a dangerous disadvantage. Statistics show that jurisdictions with lax gun ownership laws have dramatically lower violent crime rates.
Criminals are not as prone to act, knowing that others may be armed.
- In our opinion: The Affordable Care Act needs...
- Doug Robinson: Violence against women is...
- Can a news channel 'solve problems'?
- Join the discussion: Is feminism misunderstood?
- My view: Balancing personal conviction and...
- My view: Powdr Corp and Park City Mountain...
- The relationship between religiosity and...
- Improving voter turnout still a tough nut to...
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah... 114
- In our opinion: The Affordable Care Act... 74
- My view: Balancing personal conviction... 53
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook... 51
- Letter: Policy disagreement 45
- Can a news channel 'solve problems'? 39
- My view: A global warming solution to... 36
- Join the discussion: Is it impossible... 32