Linda and Richard Eyre are to be applauded for standing up to media violence ("Stemming the tide of gun violence," April 29). However, the adage "guns kill people" needs to be put to rest. Guns are inanimate objects. They do not kill people any more than cars or swimming pools kill people.
It is only through the negligent, accidental or malicious actions of a human being that a gun can be deadly. Enacting more strict gun control is not the answer. Criminals will always find a way to circumvent the law, while law-abiding citizens will be put at a dangerous disadvantage. Statistics show that jurisdictions with lax gun ownership laws have dramatically lower violent crime rates.
Criminals are not as prone to act, knowing that others may be armed.
- My view: History lesson — 'Taking back'...
- In our opinion: Boy Scouts of America and...
- In our opinion: With caucus compromise, Utah...
- John Florez: Education — Big government...
- Letter: A 'dying' document
- In our opinion: Prison relocation iffy
- Letter: Religious freedom
- Was Hillary right to compare Putin to Hitler?
- Letter: Minimum Wage insufficient 67
- Has Obama's foreign policy emboldened... 62
- Jay Evensen: Obama could use a dose of... 60
- Letter: Religious freedom 53
- In our opinion: Boy Scouts of America... 32
- Sen. Ted Cruz opens 2014 CPAC with... 30
- Was Hillary right to compare Putin to... 30
- Senate defeats Obama in Justice nod 21