Linda and Richard Eyre are to be applauded for standing up to media violence ("Stemming the tide of gun violence," April 29). However, the adage "guns kill people" needs to be put to rest. Guns are inanimate objects. They do not kill people any more than cars or swimming pools kill people.
It is only through the negligent, accidental or malicious actions of a human being that a gun can be deadly. Enacting more strict gun control is not the answer. Criminals will always find a way to circumvent the law, while law-abiding citizens will be put at a dangerous disadvantage. Statistics show that jurisdictions with lax gun ownership laws have dramatically lower violent crime rates.
Criminals are not as prone to act, knowing that others may be armed.
- My view: Utah leaders, don't let EPA fool you...
- In our opinion: After change to state pension...
- Letter: Eroding the BSA
- Letter: Methane benefits
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood scandal...
- Jay Evensen: Muhammad Yunus wants to end...
- In our opinion: Time to phase out federal...
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument in...
- In our opinion: Trump's statements on... 71
- Letter: Eroding the BSA 62
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument... 47
- In our opinion: Teacher pay one way to... 45
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood... 38
- In our opinion: Time to phase out... 27
- My view: Utah leaders, don't let EPA... 25
- Jay Evensen: Muhammad Yunus wants to... 22