Linda and Richard Eyre are to be applauded for standing up to media violence ("Stemming the tide of gun violence," April 29). However, the adage "guns kill people" needs to be put to rest. Guns are inanimate objects. They do not kill people any more than cars or swimming pools kill people.
It is only through the negligent, accidental or malicious actions of a human being that a gun can be deadly. Enacting more strict gun control is not the answer. Criminals will always find a way to circumvent the law, while law-abiding citizens will be put at a dangerous disadvantage. Statistics show that jurisdictions with lax gun ownership laws have dramatically lower violent crime rates.
Criminals are not as prone to act, knowing that others may be armed.
- In our opinion: Utah gun law that canceled...
- Robert Bennett: Former Defense Secretary Leon...
- John Hoffmire: What's the next step in the...
- Greg Bell: Lessons learned form the campaign...
- Letter: Uninformed candidate
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Our frank...
- In our opinion: Where has the family values...
- Letter: Bad calls and no-calls
- In our opinion: Utah gun law that... 134
- Greg Bell: Lessons learned form the... 86
- In our opinion: New conservative war on... 53
- In our opinion: Where has the family... 49
- Letter: What is ‘common good?’ 30
- Charles Krauthammer: We need to... 27
- Robert Bennett: Former Defense... 27
- In our opinion: School reformers should... 25