Linda and Richard Eyre are to be applauded for standing up to media violence ("Stemming the tide of gun violence," April 29). However, the adage "guns kill people" needs to be put to rest. Guns are inanimate objects. They do not kill people any more than cars or swimming pools kill people.
It is only through the negligent, accidental or malicious actions of a human being that a gun can be deadly. Enacting more strict gun control is not the answer. Criminals will always find a way to circumvent the law, while law-abiding citizens will be put at a dangerous disadvantage. Statistics show that jurisdictions with lax gun ownership laws have dramatically lower violent crime rates.
Criminals are not as prone to act, knowing that others may be armed.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- George F. Will: President Obama's epiphanies...
- Dan Liljenquist: Detroit is sending a message...
- Jay Evensen: Utah inversions — 100...
- My view: Non-discrimination laws have a problem
- In our opinion: Refinery should be allowed to...
- Letter: American billionaires
- In our opinion: No more 'Government Motors'
- In our opinion: Don't raise the minimum... 65
- My view: Fix Obamacare, don't replace it 63
- Robert Bennett: Create wealth before... 44
- Andrew Morriss: No, Congress should not... 40
- Can Mandela's legacy revive the GOP? 32
- In our opinion: No more 'Government... 32
- Letter: American billionaires 32
- President should not act without... 28