Linda and Richard Eyre are to be applauded for standing up to media violence ("Stemming the tide of gun violence," April 29). However, the adage "guns kill people" needs to be put to rest. Guns are inanimate objects. They do not kill people any more than cars or swimming pools kill people.
It is only through the negligent, accidental or malicious actions of a human being that a gun can be deadly. Enacting more strict gun control is not the answer. Criminals will always find a way to circumvent the law, while law-abiding citizens will be put at a dangerous disadvantage. Statistics show that jurisdictions with lax gun ownership laws have dramatically lower violent crime rates.
Criminals are not as prone to act, knowing that others may be armed.
- In our opinion: The breach between mass...
- David Blankenhorn: Overcoming the blindness...
- Jay Evensen: On Second Thought
- My view: Misinterpretation of Second...
- Drew Clark: Deeply felt religious faith, of...
- Letter: Excess political science
- Letter: 'Kate's Law'
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Speaker of...
- My view: Misinterpretation of Second... 88
- In our opinion: The breach between mass... 54
- My view: Utah should not raise minimum... 51
- Letter: Greater security 51
- Letter: Our French Revolution 30
- Letter: Excess political science 30
- In our opinion: Suspended Alaskan oil... 26
- Letter: Kill off expansion 25