Linda and Richard Eyre are to be applauded for standing up to media violence ("Stemming the tide of gun violence," April 29). However, the adage "guns kill people" needs to be put to rest. Guns are inanimate objects. They do not kill people any more than cars or swimming pools kill people.
It is only through the negligent, accidental or malicious actions of a human being that a gun can be deadly. Enacting more strict gun control is not the answer. Criminals will always find a way to circumvent the law, while law-abiding citizens will be put at a dangerous disadvantage. Statistics show that jurisdictions with lax gun ownership laws have dramatically lower violent crime rates.
Criminals are not as prone to act, knowing that others may be armed.
- Robert J. Samuelson: The Olympic sinkhole
- In our opinion: Finding – not forcing...
- Michael Gerson: The Dalai Lama's path to peace
- About Utah: Others opened the door, but she...
- Doug Robinson: Leonardo chief's doing a job...
- My view: Biggest reason for physician shortage
- On Second Thought: A lighthearted look at the...
- In our opinion: Those intolerable TSA...
- In our opinion: Finding – not... 84
- Letter: Nothing is 'free' 57
- My view: A de-sexed society is a... 44
- My view: Mitt Romney's Harry Potter... 42
- Richard Davis: Who needs to go to the... 37
- Orrin Hatch: My meeting with Supreme... 34
- In our opinion: Those intolerable TSA... 22
- In our opinion: A social media enabled... 22