Linda and Richard Eyre are to be applauded for standing up to media violence ("Stemming the tide of gun violence," April 29). However, the adage "guns kill people" needs to be put to rest. Guns are inanimate objects. They do not kill people any more than cars or swimming pools kill people.
It is only through the negligent, accidental or malicious actions of a human being that a gun can be deadly. Enacting more strict gun control is not the answer. Criminals will always find a way to circumvent the law, while law-abiding citizens will be put at a dangerous disadvantage. Statistics show that jurisdictions with lax gun ownership laws have dramatically lower violent crime rates.
Criminals are not as prone to act, knowing that others may be armed.
- Ralph Hancock: Society cannot 'progress'...
- Letter: Moral decline
- John Hoffmire: Unknowingly raising another...
- My view: Medicaid will sting Beehive State's...
- Brian S. Brown: In defending marriage, Utah...
- Robert Bennett: Obama should not move forward...
- Letter: My sons
- In our opinion: Some universities targeting...
- Letter: Moral decline 84
- In our opinion: Utah should change law... 81
- Letter: Climate denial 62
- Brian S. Brown: In defending marriage,... 51
- In our opinion: Some universities... 45
- Politico Magazine: If Mitt Romney runs... 44
- Ralph Hancock: Society cannot... 44
- Robert Bennett: Obama should not move... 40