Jae C. Hong, Associated Press
PITTSBURGH — Mitt Romney is a grandfather again, and he has a surrogate to thank.
Tagg Romney, the presumptive Republican presidential nominee's oldest son, announced Friday that that he has newborn twin sons. Tagg Romney tweeted "big thanks" to the surrogate who gave birth to the twins. David Mitt and William Ryder were born on Friday.
The two additions mean Mitt Romney and his wife, Ann, now have 18 grandchildren. They range in age from 16 to now just a day old.
Ann Romney tweeted her congratulations. "Grandchildren 17 and 18 are here," she wrote on Twitter. "We can't wait to meet David and William."
Tagg, 42, and his wife, Jen, 39, have appeared on the campaign trail with the former Massachusetts governor, sometimes with their four other children. This is the second time the couple has used a surrogate. Their son Jonathan was born in 2010 via a surrogate.
Tagg Romney spoke with the Mormon Church about his family's plans before the children were born, a campaign aide said. Michael Purdy, a spokesman for the LDS Church, said, the church discourages surrogate motherhood but leaves the decision to individual members.
There is some opposition to surrogacy among social conservatives. The in-vitro fertilization that's required can cause the destruction of embryos, a problem for some anti-abortion groups.
- 17 years later, parents find kidnapped...
- Can you name your U.S. Representative? See...
- The 20 most innovative tech hubs in America...
- Couple married 67 years dies holding hands
- 34 of the best Lemony Snicket quotes
- Leonard Nimoy, famous as Mr. Spock on 'Star...
- Debates rage over color of dress photographed...
- Congress OKs 1-week bill to keep Homeland...
- Gov. Herbert: 'Let chips go where they... 70
- Defying GOP, Obama vetoes Keystone XL... 51
- FCC approves 'net neutrality' rules for... 26
- Congress OKs 1-week bill to keep... 23
- Obama to governors: DHS shutdown would... 16
- Clinton says she would push... 16
- Calling for cooperation, Obama engages... 15
- Democrats caught between Obama,... 15