Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Former BYU quarterback Paul Shoemaker will take on St. George Ironman for third time Saturday
"This adventure has changed my life and now 15 other guys have accepted the challenge over the last two years."
More than 150 family members and friends will be in St. George cheering on Team SoJo on Saturday. The team will be identifiable with Team SoJo shirts.
"I know there are plenty of people out there who just need a little motivation to get off the sofa and get in better shape. Their goal could be eating better, running a 5K, or being more active with their children," said Shoemaker. "Or it could be something crazy like an Ironman."
About 25,000 spectators will be watching Ironman participants on Saturday as they attempt to swim 2.4 miles, bike 112 miles and run 26.2 miles.
It's quite an invitation to leave the cave, if you're up to it.
"Simply making a goal and setting a program to achieve it is what life is all about," said Shoemaker.
"My brother in law is a cancer survivor and will be racing this Saturday and no one in my family thinks he can finish it. I know he can finish and surprise everyone. He has lost 35 pounds and has a renewed feeling about himself and his abilities to achieve the title of Ironman."
Saturday is the end of the St. George full Ironman that will be trimmed in half in the future.
Shoemaker has to be there.
It's an itch that must be scratched.
email: email@example.com twitter: Harmonwrites
- Former Cougar star Jackson Emery shares...
- BYU basketball: Breaking down UMass, Cougars'...
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much money...
- Breaking down UMass, BYU basketball's next...
- Local NFL watch: How Utah players fared in...
- BYU football: Cougars have gotten solid...
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged to Miss...
- Cougars in the pros: Austin Collie re-signs...
- Mike Sorensen: Despite disappointing... 192
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 101
- BYU football: Cougar offense rebounds... 84
- BYU, Utah State basketball: Second-half... 74
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 60
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 50
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 48