Orem churches come together to help feed the hungry
Working together helps members of varied faiths find common ground
As much as the project is having an effect on the lives of others, the congregations point to how the effort is affecting those involved in the venture itself. The Community Church held a spaghetti dinner to thank all those who participated in the project, with more than 100 members of both churches in attendance. Stephan then invited the Community Church members to the ward's Christmas party and gave them a spot on the program.
"Our interfaith camaraderie took another giant leap forward," Pendergrass says.
Bishop Cottrell says his congregation is better for having been part of it.
"It's been an opportunity for them to get to know people of other faiths, and work together with people of other faiths and find common ground ?— trying to do good in the world," Cottrell says. "It's an opportunity that we don't have here as much as we might have in other locations in the country — to work together with other faiths."
George Lower, pastor of the Orem Community Church, says working with the different congregations has shown him that they really aren't all that different.
"The bottom line is we have some things that are in common, our ministry areas are in common," Lower says. "We care for people, we love our neighbors. We all believe that and we work on what we believe together."
With the church extending the half-acre plot this year and looking to double its production for the upcoming harvest, it is always looking for more people to help out. The next workday in the garden is May 14 and the church invites anyone who would like to participate to come out and join in the service.
Pendergrass says that with all the polarizing talk involving religion nowadays, things like this sometimes get thrown by the wayside.
"Sometimes I think we forget what religion is about," Don says, gesturing towards the volunteers. "This is what it should be about."
- Germany: Syrian asylum seekers blows himself...
- Pope Francis: The world's at war, but not a...
- Can Hillary Clinton finally close the...
- 5 faith facts about Tim Kaine: ‘I do...
- How religious commitment affects people's...
- Who boos an opening prayer? The Berniacs of...
- Great quote, Tim Kaine, but John Wesley never...
- Is Bernie Sanders an atheist?
- Is Bernie Sanders an atheist? 42
- Can Hillary Clinton finally close the... 17
- Who boos an opening prayer? The... 8
- Great quote, Tim Kaine, but John Wesley... 8
- Germany: Syrian asylum seekers blows... 3
- How religious commitment affects... 3
- 5 faith facts about Tim Kaine: ‘I... 1
- Pope Francis: The world's at war, but... 0