AugustMiller/Deseret Morning Ne, AugustMiller/Deseret Morning Ne
Simple math says that BYU will never be dominant in the money sports (football and men's basketball) again. In 1984, BYU was a "pretty good" school academically, and the average ACT score of a BYU student was 19. To get into BYU's Honors Program required an ACT score of 27.
Today, BYU is an academic powerhouse. The average test score today is 27. Today's average Zoobie is a near-genius.
College athletes have to keep a good GPA and stay on track for graduation. That's a lot tougher now than it was in the days of Steve Young and Danny Ainge. Athletes at BYU compete with the geniuses every day for grades just to stay eligible.
Very few top notch schools go to BCS bowl games. The ones that do are much larger names than BYU. Add in the Honor Code, and it's a dead certainty: no BCS for Bronco, and Dave Rose won't be cutting down the NCAA nets. I'm a longtime Cougar fan, but we have to face facts.
- From GOP convention to Pokemon Bernie: Last...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Shurtleff,...
- Jay's Jokes: Trump's true identity is Batman
- In our opinion: Utah's unique response to the...
- In our opinion: The GOP convention — a...
- John Florez: Justice delayed is justice denied
- My view: More whites should practice meekness...
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day
- Richard Davis: What will Americans... 37
- My view: Supporting Utah's public... 36
- In our opinion: Despite alarming shift... 34
- In our opinion: The GOP convention... 32
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day 29
- Letter: Cruz took a stand 25
- Letter: Acting presidential 25
- My view: More whites should practice... 23