The Salt Lake Bees suffered their seventh straight loss on Wednesday afternoon, as they dropped a 5-4 decision to the Fresno Grizzlies.
The Bees took a 1-0 lead in the first on an RBI single by Kole Calhoun, but Fresno came back with three in the bottom of the first on a solo homer by Conor Gillaspie and a two-run shot by Charlie Culberson.
The Grizzlies added two more in the sixth on a double by Todd Linden to stretch their lead to 5-2.
The Bees pulled to within one with two runs in the seventh on a solo homer by Andrew Romine and a run-scoring double by Calhoun and one more in the eighth on an RBI single by Romine.
Matt Shoemaker (2-1) took the loss, as he went six innings and allowed five runs on eight hits with six strikeouts and one walk.
Romine led the Bees with four hits and two runs batted in, while Calhoun added a pair of hits and two RBI.
Alexi Amarista doubled in the fifth inning to extend his hitting streak to 12 games.
In short: Andrew Romine hit 4-of-5 and Matt Shoemaker fanned six batters, but Fresno held on to a 5-1 lead after the sixth inning.
Up next: at Fresno, 8 p.m. today
Next homestand: May 8-15 vs. Round Rock (Rangers)/Albuquerque (Dodgers)
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- BYU-Memphis an 'intriguing' bowl matchup
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Gordon Hayward happy to be moving on with...
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Sunday morning QB: Stars and stats from No....
- BYU coach Shawn Olmstead provided calming...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 63
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 52
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Brad Rock: This is where conference... 30
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28