Two Salt Lake errors led to six unearned runs in helping the Fresno Grizzlies to a 9-5 win over the Salt Lake Bees on Monday night.
Fresno led 3-0 in the fifth and had one runner on base with two outs when second baseman Alexi Amarista misplayed Roger Kieschnick's ground ball to extend the inning. Charlie Culberson followed by drilling a 1-0 pitch from Trevor Bell into the left field seats to make it a 6-0 game.
An error by third baseman Luis Jimenez led to three more unearned runs in the eighth.
Bell (1-3) suffered his third straight loss, as he allowed six runs, three earned, on twelve hits in six innings with one strikeout and one walk.
The Bees avoided the shutout with five runs in the ninth, as Paul McAnulty delivered a three-run double, Jimenez followed with an RBI double and he came home on a groundout by Efren Navarro.
Amarista doubled in the first to stretch his hitting streak to 10 games, but Salt Lake's losing streak is extended to five games.
In short: The Bees dug themselves a 9-0 deficit. Two costly errors were converted to six unearned runs for Fresno. On a bright note, Alexi Amarista doubled in the first inning to stretch his hitting streak to 10 games.
Up next: at Fresno tonight.
Next homestand: May 8-11 vs. Round Rock.
- Past few days 'difficult' for former...
- Defending champ Serena Williams at Wimbledon...
- Chile wins 2nd straight Copa America title as...
- Messi's retirement from Argentina could hurt...
- Most common names of NBA players this season
- Injured Lochte plows ahead in 200 free at US...
- Djokovic beat James Ward to open bid for 5th...
- Durant, Anthony lead US Olympic basketball team
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 81
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 50
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 20
- Utes have a lot of depth on the... 18
- Utah football: Williams, McCormick... 17