Two Salt Lake errors led to six unearned runs in helping the Fresno Grizzlies to a 9-5 win over the Salt Lake Bees on Monday night.
Fresno led 3-0 in the fifth and had one runner on base with two outs when second baseman Alexi Amarista misplayed Roger Kieschnick's ground ball to extend the inning. Charlie Culberson followed by drilling a 1-0 pitch from Trevor Bell into the left field seats to make it a 6-0 game.
An error by third baseman Luis Jimenez led to three more unearned runs in the eighth.
Bell (1-3) suffered his third straight loss, as he allowed six runs, three earned, on twelve hits in six innings with one strikeout and one walk.
The Bees avoided the shutout with five runs in the ninth, as Paul McAnulty delivered a three-run double, Jimenez followed with an RBI double and he came home on a groundout by Efren Navarro.
Amarista doubled in the first to stretch his hitting streak to 10 games, but Salt Lake's losing streak is extended to five games.
In short: The Bees dug themselves a 9-0 deficit. Two costly errors were converted to six unearned runs for Fresno. On a bright note, Alexi Amarista doubled in the first inning to stretch his hitting streak to 10 games.
Up next: at Fresno tonight.
Next homestand: May 8-11 vs. Round Rock.
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball strength coach...
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave Christensen...
- Video: Former USU running back Robert...
- Brady Poppinga: Confronting an unlikely opponent
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- Jazz rookie Dante Exum looks like a kid but...
- Utah Jazz legend John Stockton, Weber State...
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 174
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 116
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 52
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 51
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 48
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45