Two Salt Lake errors led to six unearned runs in helping the Fresno Grizzlies to a 9-5 win over the Salt Lake Bees on Monday night.
Fresno led 3-0 in the fifth and had one runner on base with two outs when second baseman Alexi Amarista misplayed Roger Kieschnick's ground ball to extend the inning. Charlie Culberson followed by drilling a 1-0 pitch from Trevor Bell into the left field seats to make it a 6-0 game.
An error by third baseman Luis Jimenez led to three more unearned runs in the eighth.
Bell (1-3) suffered his third straight loss, as he allowed six runs, three earned, on twelve hits in six innings with one strikeout and one walk.
The Bees avoided the shutout with five runs in the ninth, as Paul McAnulty delivered a three-run double, Jimenez followed with an RBI double and he came home on a groundout by Efren Navarro.
Amarista doubled in the first to stretch his hitting streak to 10 games, but Salt Lake's losing streak is extended to five games.
In short: The Bees dug themselves a 9-0 deficit. Two costly errors were converted to six unearned runs for Fresno. On a bright note, Alexi Amarista doubled in the first inning to stretch his hitting streak to 10 games.
Up next: at Fresno tonight.
Next homestand: May 8-11 vs. Round Rock.
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- Utah football: Utes to take on a familiar...
- Utah State infographic: Aggies' Keeton...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 59
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 29
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28