Two Salt Lake errors led to six unearned runs in helping the Fresno Grizzlies to a 9-5 win over the Salt Lake Bees on Monday night.
Fresno led 3-0 in the fifth and had one runner on base with two outs when second baseman Alexi Amarista misplayed Roger Kieschnick's ground ball to extend the inning. Charlie Culberson followed by drilling a 1-0 pitch from Trevor Bell into the left field seats to make it a 6-0 game.
An error by third baseman Luis Jimenez led to three more unearned runs in the eighth.
Bell (1-3) suffered his third straight loss, as he allowed six runs, three earned, on twelve hits in six innings with one strikeout and one walk.
The Bees avoided the shutout with five runs in the ninth, as Paul McAnulty delivered a three-run double, Jimenez followed with an RBI double and he came home on a groundout by Efren Navarro.
Amarista doubled in the first to stretch his hitting streak to 10 games, but Salt Lake's losing streak is extended to five games.
In short: The Bees dug themselves a 9-0 deficit. Two costly errors were converted to six unearned runs for Fresno. On a bright note, Alexi Amarista doubled in the first inning to stretch his hitting streak to 10 games.
Up next: at Fresno tonight.
Next homestand: May 8-11 vs. Round Rock.
- Utah Jazz: No lottery luck, so Jazz remain in...
- BYU football: Fan-developed software gives...
- High school boys soccer: Lehi edges...
- Deseret News live streaming schedule for boys...
- Utes football recruiting: Polynesian players...
- Results from Tuesday's high school softball,...
- The offseason status of NFL players with Utah...
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state tournament...
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state... 56
- Bodyguards allegedly beat up 2 fans who... 19
- Dick Harmon: BYU coach Mike Littlewood... 15
- Utah Jazz: No lottery luck, so Jazz... 12
- Utah State football: New coach Matt... 11
- If hired, Jeff Hornacek will face same... 10
- BYU football: Fan-developed software... 8
- Former Jazzman Thurl Bailey named... 7