MLB roundup: Andy Dirks homers in place of Young Williams' MVP plaque sells for $300K
Nearly 800 items sold at Fenway Park, the world's oldest baseball park and home field of the only team that Williams played for during his 1939-1960 major league career. Some of the proceeds from the auction will benefit The Jimmy Fund, a charity affiliated with Boston's Dana-Farber Cancer Institute for which the slugger helped raise money during his lifetime.
A baseball in pristine condition that Babe Ruth autographed for Williams sold for $195,500. The ball, which had the inscription: "To my pal Ted Williams, From Babe Ruth," set a record sale for a baseball signed by Ruth that wasn't used in a game, Hunt Auctions Inc. said. The ball was stolen from the Williams family's Florida home in the 1970s and wasn't recovered until 2005.
Williams' 1957 Babe Ruth Sultan of Swat Award for outstanding batting achievement sold for $230,000. Other top items included his 1949 American League MVP plaque, which fetched $299,000, a used Red Sox road jersey from 1955 that sold for $126,500 and Williams' Hall of Fame induction ring, which went for nearly $110,000.
An 8-year-old Texas boy and his parents were the winning bidders on Williams' 1957 Silver Bat award, which sold for nearly $195,500, and Williams' 1960 All-Star game bat, which went for $80,500.
SANCHEZ'S MRI REVEALS STRAIN: Giants second baseman Freddy Sanchez has a strain in his right shoulder, a minor setback in his recovery from surgery last season, but Giants manager Bruce Bochy said he was encouraged by the test results.
CLUTCH TIME: Substitute Jonny Steele scores in stoppage time.
OWN GOAL: Toronto's Rick Eckersley helped RSL out in the 57th minute.
QUICK START: Kyle Beckerman put RSL on the board in the 7th minute.
GOALS FOR: 16
GOALS AGAINST: 11
RSL vs. Revolution
Saturday, 7 p.m.
MLS GAME 10: Saturday at
Rio Tinto Stadium
Toronto FC 0 2 — 2
Real Salt Lake 1 2 — 3
RSL — Beckerman (Schuler, Olave), 7'
Tor — Avila (Johnson), 48'
RSL — Eckersley (own goal), 57'
Tor — Henry (Aceval) 77'
RSL — Steele (Beckerman), 90+'
RSL — Olave (yellow card), 17'
RSL — Wingert (yellow card), 27'
Tor — Henry (yellow card), 78'
Tor — Frings (yellow card), 80'
A — 17,629
Total Shots 10 15
Shots on Goal 4 5
Saves 3 2
Fouls 10 12
Offsides 1 6
Corner Kicks 3 7
Toronto FC lineup (4-3-3) ?— Milos Kocic, Adrian Cann, Miguel Aceval, Ashtone Morgan (Logan Emory, 76'), Richard Eckersley (Doneil Henry, 59'), Eric Avila, Julian de Guzman, Torsten Frings, Terry Dunfield (Joao Plata, 68'), Reggie Lambe, Ryan Johnson.
Real Salt Lake lineup (4-4-2) ?— Nick Rimando, Jamison Olave, Tony Beltran (Luis Gil, 87'), Chris Schuler, Chris Wingert, Javier Morales, Will Johnson, Ned Grabavoy (Jonny Steele, 82'), Kyle Beckerman, Fabian Espindola, Alvaro Saborio.
AT A GLANCE
- BYU basketball: Dave Rose hoping Tyler Haws'...
- Stump the Smith: Can you answer the questions...
- Hard work, dedication pay off for Utah's Karl...
- LIVE TODAY: Deseret News live streaming...
- BYU basketball: Agustin Ambrosino leaves BYU...
- ESPN trivia guru: University of Utah graduate...
- High school softball: Copper Hills earns a...
- Randy Hollis: Coach Phil Russell made a huge...
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state... 56
- Hard work, dedication pay off for... 35
- BYU basketball: Dave Rose hoping Tyler... 29
- Bodyguards allegedly beat up 2 fans who... 19
- Utah Jazz: No lottery luck, so Jazz... 19
- Utah State football: New coach Matt... 11
- BYU basketball: Agustin Ambrosino... 11
- BYU football: Fan-developed software... 8