Sam Penrod, Deseret News
PROVO — Nu Skin marked the halfway point Monday for the construction of its $90 million Innovation Center in downtown Provo.
The international direct-marketing company placed the final, 45,000-pound steel beam in place with the presence of company founder Blake Roney and president and CEO Truman Hunt.
Cranes bringing the seven-story project out of the ground are the most visible reminder on the Provo skyline of a larger downtown renovation, which includes the soon-to-be opened Utah Valley Convention Center across the street to the north, and the Provo City Center Temple project by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Like the temple project, which is to join two city blocks by closing a stretch of 100 South between University Avenue and 100 West, the Nu Skin Innovation Center also involves a street closure on 100 West between Center Street and 100 South.
The existing tower and new Innovation Center will have a combined 300,000 square feet.
So far, Innovation Center construction has included 8,000 cubic yards of concrete in the foundation and approximately 1,100 tons of steel, according to the company. The building is expected to be complete in the summer of 2013 and will house a research and development laboratory, retail space and a cafe.
— Steve Fidel
- AF High Band performs with borrowed...
- Alcohol use suspected in Uintah County crash...
- Executive action brings 'temporary relief'...
- Man shot, killed in confrontation with police...
- Teen in Springville family found dead left...
- 5 easy ways to make your money work for you
- Photos: Deseret Book winter display yields...
- 'It can happen to anyone': Utah universities...
- President Obama's immigration reforms... 63
- America needs heroes, Mitt Romney tells... 55
- Utah members of Congress slam Obama's... 55
- Utah business leaders say Congress must... 47
- Executive action brings 'temporary... 45
- Woman wears colander for driver's... 35
- Groups petition for gun bans from... 23
- Q&A with President Henry B. Eyring,... 22