Sam Penrod, Deseret News
PROVO — Nu Skin marked the halfway point Monday for the construction of its $90 million Innovation Center in downtown Provo.
The international direct-marketing company placed the final, 45,000-pound steel beam in place with the presence of company founder Blake Roney and president and CEO Truman Hunt.
Cranes bringing the seven-story project out of the ground are the most visible reminder on the Provo skyline of a larger downtown renovation, which includes the soon-to-be opened Utah Valley Convention Center across the street to the north, and the Provo City Center Temple project by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Like the temple project, which is to join two city blocks by closing a stretch of 100 South between University Avenue and 100 West, the Nu Skin Innovation Center also involves a street closure on 100 West between Center Street and 100 South.
The existing tower and new Innovation Center will have a combined 300,000 square feet.
So far, Innovation Center construction has included 8,000 cubic yards of concrete in the foundation and approximately 1,100 tons of steel, according to the company. The building is expected to be complete in the summer of 2013 and will house a research and development laboratory, retail space and a cafe.
— Steve Fidel
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- What consumers need to know about chip...
- Utah natives receive rave reviews, make 'So...
- Sandy mailman's plea for books gets worldwide...
- Body found in suitcase near Saltair identified
- Imagine Dragons treated like home team at...
- Wright Words: Younger sister is living...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 295
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 132
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 103
- Mike Lee plotting tricky maneuver to... 88
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 74
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 65
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 45
- Is report on building prison in Draper... 35