Sam Penrod, Deseret News
PROVO — Nu Skin marked the halfway point Monday for the construction of its $90 million Innovation Center in downtown Provo.
The international direct-marketing company placed the final, 45,000-pound steel beam in place with the presence of company founder Blake Roney and president and CEO Truman Hunt.
Cranes bringing the seven-story project out of the ground are the most visible reminder on the Provo skyline of a larger downtown renovation, which includes the soon-to-be opened Utah Valley Convention Center across the street to the north, and the Provo City Center Temple project by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Like the temple project, which is to join two city blocks by closing a stretch of 100 South between University Avenue and 100 West, the Nu Skin Innovation Center also involves a street closure on 100 West between Center Street and 100 South.
The existing tower and new Innovation Center will have a combined 300,000 square feet.
So far, Innovation Center construction has included 8,000 cubic yards of concrete in the foundation and approximately 1,100 tons of steel, according to the company. The building is expected to be complete in the summer of 2013 and will house a research and development laboratory, retail space and a cafe.
— Steve Fidel
- 2-year-old boy dies from accidental shooting...
- Crowds to flock to Salt Lake City this weekend
- Man admits raping, killing young Ogden girl...
- Salt Lake City Marathon comes with many...
- Tabernacle Choir performs Handel's 'Messiah'...
- Autopsies of 7 infants completed; police...
- Western states to feds: Turn over public lands
- Top 10 spring activities for Utah families
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 107
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 89
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 77
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 47
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 38
- Appeals judges question right to sue in... 27
- Autopsies of 7 infants completed;... 24
- Texas seizes FLDS Church's secluded ranch 23