Ex-Ute Tony Bergstrom meets the Oakland Raiders; other Utes find out destinations
SALT LAKE CITY — Tony Bergstrom was formally introduced to Raider Nation on Saturday, touring the Oakland Raiders' facility and meeting team personnel — even posing for a photo with Hall of Famers Willie Brown and Jim Otto.
The former University of Utah offensive lineman was the franchise's top pick in this year's NFL draft, going 95th overall with the last pick of the third round Friday night.
"It's a bit of a whirlwind but it's a great experience," Bergstrom said in an interview. "I'm just trying to enjoy the experience as it comes."
While Bergstrom learned his destination in the NFL draft, he was the only Ute to do so this time around. However, several of his teammates wound up signing free agent deals after the seventh and final round was completed on Saturday.
"I was in demand once the draft ended," left tackle John Cullen said with a laugh.
Cullen weighed his options and wound up accepting an offer from the New York Jets. He'll report to camp on Thursday and is eager to get to work.
"They kind of showed that they really, really wanted me and had the best opportunity and best offer," Cullen said. "So it was kind of just one of those things."
Defensive end Derrick Shelby and fullback Shawn Asiata are headed to the Miami Dolphins, while cornerback Conroy Black gives the Utes two connections with the Raiders. Defensive lineman Tevita Finau is going to the Arizona Cardinals.
Linebackers Chaz Walker and Matt Martinez also had things brewing and hoped to have their situations finalized by Sunday.
- Lone Peak's Frank Jackson sees Duke as too...
- BYU's Davis faces misdemeanor assault, riot...
- The top 25 NBA players under 25: Where do...
- BYU football notebook: Team captains named,...
- BYU's Mendenhall, Nebraska's Riley have long...
- Morning links: Will Michigan beat Utah? BYU?;...
- Nebraska hoping for balanced offense attack...
- Michigan to debut its Harbaugh era in season...
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 98
- Lone Peak's Frank Jackson sees Duke as... 59
- BYU football notebook: Team captains... 51
- BYU's Davis faces misdemeanor assault,... 44
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU... 31
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 31
- Cougars looking for special season with... 29
- Take expletives, not religion, out of... 28