Brian Garfinkel, Getty Images
PHILADELPHIA — Paul Maholm pitched 61?3 solid innings, Starlin Castro had two hits and an RBI, and the Chicago Cubs beat the Philadelphia Phillies 5-1 Friday night.
Maholm (2-2) allowed a run on five hits with a strikeout and no walks, dropping his ERA from 8.36 to 6.20. And the speedy Tony Campana had two hits on balls that didn't leave the infield and scored twice for the Cubs.
BRAVES 6, PIRATES 1: At Atlanta, Tommy Hanson allowed one run in six innings, Dan Uggla and Chipper Jones came through in a four-run seventh.
CARDINALS 13, BREWERS 1: At St. Louis, Jake Westbrook gave up one run over seven innings and St. Louis exploded for eight runs in the third inning.
ASTROS 6, REDS 4: At Cincinnati, Jose Altuve drove in two runs with a triple and a double, leading Wandy Rodriguez and the Houston Astros past the Cincinnati Reds.
DIAMONDBACKS 5, MARLINS 0: At Miami, Joe Saunders pitched a three-hitter, Jason Kubel tied a career best with four hits and the Arizona Diamondbacks sent Miami to its sixth straight loss.
ROCKIES 18, METS 9: At Denver, Carlos Gonzalez was at the center of an 11-run fifth inning, hitting a homer and single to drive in five of his six RBIs, and Ramon Hernandez hit his sixth career grand slam in the rout.
DODGERS 3, NATIONALS 2: At Los Angeles, Clayton Kershaw won his 10th straight decision, Andre Ethier hit a two-run homer in a matchup of the top two teams in the National League.
PADRES 5, GIANTS 3: At San Francisco, Nick Hundley tied his career high in hits with a 4-for-4 outing.
YANKEES 7, TIGERS 6: At New York, Derek Jeter scored on a passed ball with one out in the ninth inning and the New York Yankees rallied to hand the Tigers their fifth straight loss.
INDIANS 3, ANGELS 2: At Cleveland, Asdrubal Cabrera singled home the winning run with one out in the ninth inning.
ATHLETICS 5, ORIOLES 2: At Baltimore, Brandon McCarthy pitched seven strong innings for his first win this season and Eric Sogard hit a two-run home run in a three-run second.
MARINERS 9, BLUE JAYS 5 (10 INNINGS): At Toronto, Michael Saunders hit two home runs, including a grand slam in the 10th, and Seattle rallied to extend its win streak to a season-high four games.
RED SOX 10, WHITE SOX 3: At Chicago, Darnell McDonald hit a tiebreaking three-run double and homered to help Boston rally past Chicago.
RAYS 8, RANGERS 4: At Arlington, Texas, Evan Longoria homered and drove in four runs to help the Rays extend their winning streak to six games.
ROYALS 7, TWINS 6: At Minneapolis, Alex Gordon and Billy Butler each hit a two-run homer and the Kansas City Royals earned their third straight win as Mike Moustakas delivered the go-ahead single in the eighth inning.
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- BYU star Tyler Haws' whirlwind workout tour...
- Ranking the best small forwards in the NBA...
- Several early season game times set for Utah,...
- Brad Rock: Haws family has worldview on...
- Morning links: Sports figures react to...
- Dick Harmon: Larry Krystkowiak chimes in on...
- Utah football: QB Wilson determined to make...
- Morning links: Sports figures react to... 100
- Utah football: QB Wilson determined to... 37
- Brad Rock: Tackle football for girls... 25
- Several early season game times set for... 24
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for... 21
- Dick Harmon: As Marriott Center gets... 16
- Dick Harmon: Larry Krystkowiak chimes... 14
- His legacy at BYU secure, Tyler Haws... 13