Letter: Mitt Romney's delegates: The national delegate pool should be more diverse
Chris Carlson, File, Associated Press
I was a national delegate candidate, along with others, who didn't get on Mitt Romney's preferred list. All those who were on this preferred list were elected and edged out anyone else who actually campaigned for the honor and privilege to cast an enthusiastic vote for Romney in-person and at their own expense.
Romney's list at convention contains only those well-known in public office already or otherwise financially better-off who didn't have to campaign at all; they simply had to make a phone call. Ann Romney made a video played at the conference which also pleaded with delegates to go with the hand picked. Does Romney distrust the system that much that he had to hedge his bets with a selection of the elite?
Those who were bypassed spent hundreds of dollars to get their name known and to write up bios.
There are many Romney supporting people that have come from the ranks of those that don't necessarily serve in public office. I would like Romney to stop the practice of hedging up an elite list of political figures and get with the common citizen in each State to make the national delegate pool more diverse as well as answer the dream of some "common folks" to participate in a very historic election.
George E. Martell
- Doug Robinson: We are in the midst of an era...
- From 'Con Air' to the classroom and sideline
- Michael Gerson: The gospel according to JC...
- My view: Fix Obamacare, don't replace it
- Robert J. Samuelson: Government programs...
- Most popular letters to the editor of 2013
- In our opinion: Don't raise the minimum wage
- Matthew Sanders: Nelson Mandela's goodness...
- In our opinion: Don't raise the minimum... 63
- My view: Fix Obamacare, don't replace it 59
- Robert Bennett: Create wealth before... 41
- Letter: Doctors unite 40
- Andrew Morriss: No, Congress should not... 33
- Michael E. Kraft: Yes, Congress should... 22
- Letter: Foreign aid 17
- My view: Utah needs to expand Medicaid 14