Utah Utes football: LeRoy Sitake Tanoai, half brother of Kalani Sitake, signs
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah football picked up a big and familiar commitment on Wednesday.
LeRoy Sitake Tanoai, a 6-foot-4, 280 pound offensive lineman from Notre Dame High School in Sherman Oaks, Calif., plans to sign a letter of intent with the Utes in February and join the team after serving an LDS Church mission.
"Utah has always been a good school to me and its the only place I could see myself being at," said Tanoai, who is the half brother of Ute defensive coordinator Kalani Sitake.
Tanoai attended Utah's "Junior Day" during his spring break and liked what Utah had to offer — from the facilities to head coach Kyle Whittingham and offensive line coach Dan Finn.
Being around Sitake, however, is what he's most excited about.
"It'll be really fun. He's a great coach and an even greater brother," Tanoai said. "I know going out to Utah that he'll be there to support me."
Tanoai turns 19 just three months after high school graduation and told Whittingham that he plans to serve a mission before enrolling at the U.
"He supported me," Tanoai said. "I'm just thankful that the coaching staff understands my religious point of view and will support me on my mission."
Before moving to California midway through his freshman year, Tanoai played for Pleasant Grove.
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- Former longtime Utah Jazz broadcaster Hot Rod...
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes as...
- BYU players work out at Pro Day in hopes of...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Former Duke and Utah player Chris Burgess...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 96
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 27
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 21
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 19
- Jazz lose to undermanned, tired... 16