Utah Utes football: LeRoy Sitake Tanoai, half brother of Kalani Sitake, signs
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah football picked up a big and familiar commitment on Wednesday.
LeRoy Sitake Tanoai, a 6-foot-4, 280 pound offensive lineman from Notre Dame High School in Sherman Oaks, Calif., plans to sign a letter of intent with the Utes in February and join the team after serving an LDS Church mission.
"Utah has always been a good school to me and its the only place I could see myself being at," said Tanoai, who is the half brother of Ute defensive coordinator Kalani Sitake.
Tanoai attended Utah's "Junior Day" during his spring break and liked what Utah had to offer — from the facilities to head coach Kyle Whittingham and offensive line coach Dan Finn.
Being around Sitake, however, is what he's most excited about.
"It'll be really fun. He's a great coach and an even greater brother," Tanoai said. "I know going out to Utah that he'll be there to support me."
Tanoai turns 19 just three months after high school graduation and told Whittingham that he plans to serve a mission before enrolling at the U.
"He supported me," Tanoai said. "I'm just thankful that the coaching staff understands my religious point of view and will support me on my mission."
Before moving to California midway through his freshman year, Tanoai played for Pleasant Grove.
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk (ahem,...
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor Harding...
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State all...
- Utah Utes football: Ranking the best players...
- One mistake turned Utah native and Yankees...
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th in...
- Whittingham dishes on stadium expansion,...
- Doug Robinson: Former SLC engineer gets paid...
- Phil Steele gives tempered assessment... 77
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 76
- Morning links: Utah is on the rise in... 74
- Cougars say they have learned lessons... 66
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 49
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 35
- BYU looking for another defensive... 33
- Morning links: Tom Hackett is the Utes'... 33