Tom Smart, Deseret News
AMERICAN FORK — It was supposed to be an exhilarating series between crosstown rivals ranked in the top five in the 5A classification.
So far, it's been nothing of the sort. For the second consecutive game, American Fork handled Lone Peak in convincing fashion with a 10-0 win in five innings.
"It feels good," American Fork's coach Jared Ingersoll said when asked how it felt to beat up on the Cavemen's rival. "We've kind of had a little bit of problems closing out games; couple series ago we were up 9-to-1 with the same guy on the mound and ended up winning 10-to-9. We're trying to be finishers a little bit more."
It truly was a clinic in every aspect of the game — especially on the mound.
Riley Otteson pitched the short-game shutout, scattering two hits with seven strikeouts. The nasty fastball righty retired eight straight batters and nine out of the last 10. The one walk during the span, he eventually caught napping at first on a pickoff attempt.
"He's a competitor. He's done a great job for us — one of the hardest workers we have," Ingersoll said. "What he does best is he controls the run game. He's got a great move to first but he keeps guys off-balanced at the plate. He throws pretty hard and he's a composed guy."
"Our offense (had) a lapse for a little bit but our hitters have really adjusted and are more disciplined," stated Ingersoll. "We have a great lineup."
The following inning, the Knights threatened after a double play opportunity went awry. However, Otteson, with the bases loaded, forced a grounder with a fastball inside for the 5-3 double play.
Beddes later extended the lead to 6-0 with another RBI single in the second.
Then, after a three-up-three-down third inning, the Cavemen brought home four more runs.
Cade Hill and Reynolds opened up with back-to-back doubles, positioning Tyson Heaps for a 340-foot three-run homer to left field. American Fork reached the 10-run plateau on Lone Peak's fifth error of the game.
- Utah's first family of boxing loses one of...
- BYU basketball guard Anson Winder and...
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make...
- Morning links: Utes land a local commitment...
- Doug Robinson: 'In Football We Trust'...
- 'In Football We Trust' puts a religious twist...
- Utah Jazz forward Gordon Hayward gets a...
- Best of the West: Shifting teams around after...
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 65
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 37
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 29
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 22
- Utes get it done at home again 21
- Matt Carlino playing much the same at... 19