Rose knows rosters, locker room dynamics, the weight of egos, the challenge of fitting in and the politics of sports as well as anyone.
His advice for Fredette is simple.
"I think he needs to be patient, which isn't the greatest quality in young players in high school, young players in college and young players in the NBA," said Rose.
"I haven't any doubt in his work ethic or that his motivation level will continue. But patience comes. The most important thing is to not be frustrated with your lack of opportunity. That would be my best advice.
"You can find some solace that if you took some of the top 20 rookies for the last five years and chart them their rookie year and then their second, third and fourth year, you'll find it is not always the rookie that had the best rookie year that has the best career."
Rose said Fredette has had issues, like with Thomas playing so well. That could really "bog down" his mind if he let it. But he doesn't think that has impacted Fredette as much as one might think because Fredette has made shots when he's been given the chance the past few weeks.
"He just needs to take advantage of being where he's always wanted to be and make the most of it."
Meanwhile, what about the ornament on the table?
Well, it speaks for itself, and it's still talking.
email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: Harmonwrites
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 105
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 91
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 76
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 50
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 49
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 36