Yahoo: Wife helped John L. Smith make choice to leave Weber State
Our take: Opinions abound in the national media about John L. Smith's move to Arkansas after just 4 1/2 months (and no games) at Weber State. But Yahoo's Pat Forde spoke to Smith on Tuesday and found out that Smith's wife helped him understand the opportunity before him:
Smith, a 63-year-old football lifer, was racked by indecision and stress. Could he really leave his alma mater before coaching a single game? How bad would the backlash be in Odgen? How dicey would the situation be in Fayetteville?
When his wife, Diana, broke into tears, Smith's choice was clear.
"You've worked your entire life to maybe one day have an opportunity to coach a team with a chance to win a title," she told her husband. "Realize where you are in your career. You're not going to get another chance.
"This is what you're going to do: You're going to take that job."
Read the full article: Arkansas coaching opportunity was too good to for John L. Smith to turn down
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Brad Rock: Utah Jazz still don't have the...
- Ranking the best point guards in the NBA...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 287
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 92
- Things won't get any easier for... 79
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 51
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 40
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37