Yahoo: Wife helped John L. Smith make choice to leave Weber State
Our take: Opinions abound in the national media about John L. Smith's move to Arkansas after just 4 1/2 months (and no games) at Weber State. But Yahoo's Pat Forde spoke to Smith on Tuesday and found out that Smith's wife helped him understand the opportunity before him:
Smith, a 63-year-old football lifer, was racked by indecision and stress. Could he really leave his alma mater before coaching a single game? How bad would the backlash be in Odgen? How dicey would the situation be in Fayetteville?
When his wife, Diana, broke into tears, Smith's choice was clear.
"You've worked your entire life to maybe one day have an opportunity to coach a team with a chance to win a title," she told her husband. "Realize where you are in your career. You're not going to get another chance.
"This is what you're going to do: You're going to take that job."
Read the full article: Arkansas coaching opportunity was too good to for John L. Smith to turn down
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in the...
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with Wagner...
- Utah Jazz pick up rare road win against Miami...
- BYU running back Adam Hine enjoying Miami...
- Jazz center Rudy Gobert gets pushy with...
- Doug Robinson: A victory lap for Hot Rod Hundley
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in University...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 68
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 60
- BYU whips Weber State, gets a scare... 48
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 45
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 41
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 31
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 26