Yahoo: Wife helped John L. Smith make choice to leave Weber State
Our take: Opinions abound in the national media about John L. Smith's move to Arkansas after just 4 1/2 months (and no games) at Weber State. But Yahoo's Pat Forde spoke to Smith on Tuesday and found out that Smith's wife helped him understand the opportunity before him:
Smith, a 63-year-old football lifer, was racked by indecision and stress. Could he really leave his alma mater before coaching a single game? How bad would the backlash be in Odgen? How dicey would the situation be in Fayetteville?
When his wife, Diana, broke into tears, Smith's choice was clear.
"You've worked your entire life to maybe one day have an opportunity to coach a team with a chance to win a title," she told her husband. "Realize where you are in your career. You're not going to get another chance.
"This is what you're going to do: You're going to take that job."
Read the full article: Arkansas coaching opportunity was too good to for John L. Smith to turn down
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very little
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 45