Yahoo: Wife helped John L. Smith make choice to leave Weber State
Our take: Opinions abound in the national media about John L. Smith's move to Arkansas after just 4 1/2 months (and no games) at Weber State. But Yahoo's Pat Forde spoke to Smith on Tuesday and found out that Smith's wife helped him understand the opportunity before him:
Smith, a 63-year-old football lifer, was racked by indecision and stress. Could he really leave his alma mater before coaching a single game? How bad would the backlash be in Odgen? How dicey would the situation be in Fayetteville?
When his wife, Diana, broke into tears, Smith's choice was clear.
"You've worked your entire life to maybe one day have an opportunity to coach a team with a chance to win a title," she told her husband. "Realize where you are in your career. You're not going to get another chance.
"This is what you're going to do: You're going to take that job."
Read the full article: Arkansas coaching opportunity was too good to for John L. Smith to turn down
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 39
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 35
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Morning links: Utah running back's goal... 30
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 25
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 23
- Badger looking to become part of BYU's... 22
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21