Building better burgers: you can grill a great burger using beef, but why stop there?
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Ground black pepper
2 ripe medium tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
¼ cup minced fresh basil
3 tablespoons shredded low-fat mozzarella
3 whole-wheat English muffins, split and toasted
1. Tear bread into small pieces and place in a mixing bowl. Pour milk over bread, stir to coat well and allow to stand 10 minutes, stirring and mashing bread frequently until the mixture is almost smooth. Add ground turkey, garlic, Worcestershire sauce and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into 6 patties.
2. Mix together tomatoes and basil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Allow to stand at room temperature 5 to 10 minutes for flavors to blend.
3. Meanwhile, preheat grill to medium-high or allow coals to burn down. Lightly oil grill grate or spray with nonstick spray.
4. Grill patties about 5 to 6 minutes per side or until lightly browned and internal temperatures registers 165 degrees on a meat thermometer. Sprinkle each with 1 <0x00BD> teaspoons shredded mozzarella cheese and allow to melt.
5. Place one patty, cheese side up, on each English muffin half. Spoon tomato mixture generously over the top of each patty.
Per serving: 235 calories; 8g fat; 6g saturated fat; 57mg cholesterol; 24g protein; 18g carbohydrate; 3g fiber; 318mg sodium.
— Recipe developed for The Kansas City Star
Dist. by MCT Information Services