McBride, Van Horn head list of Crimson Club honorees
Also recognized are Carr, Dahlum and the U. senior athletes
Induction into the Crimson Club Hall of Fame, he noted, is a great honor.
"I'm real humbled to be included with all these great, past University of Utah athletes," Van Horn said.
This year's two other inductees — Carr and Dahlum — had similar thoughts.
Carr was a pioneer of sorts in the establishment of women's athletics at the university, serving as the school's first softball and volleyball coach when varsity programs were established in 1975. The most successful softball coach in school history led Utah to 380 wins and three College World Series appearances over a span of 14 years.
In volleyball, Carr won two conference coach of the year awards in four seasons at the helm. The Utes won 77 matches during that span.
Carr also helped coach women's basketball and assisted with athletics administration while at Utah. In 1989, she was named the athletics director at Salt Lake Community College — becoming the first woman to hold such a position in state history.
"I'm overwhelmed and very pleased. I was totally surprised by this," Carr said of her Crimson Club Hall of Fame recognition. "You work hard and you just do things. You don't do things for this kind of an accolade. It's always nice to be honored by your peers and people that you think a lot of. It was a surprise to me, a wonderful surprise."
Dahlum used the same word to describe her induction. The alpine skiing champion had one of the most successful careers in University of Utah and Norwegian history. She won seven titles in Norway from 1975-81.
"It's hard to describe," Dahlum said before Monday's banquet. "It was a surprise to me. But it's very nice. I'm very honored."
Approximately 1,000 guests attended the gathering, which also served as the Senior Awards Banquet.
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's quarterback,...
- Utah State denies David Collette's release,...
- BYU's Rose adjusts lineup — freshman...
- How did they fare? Locals in the NFL roundup...
- Former Ute Delon Wright, former Cougar Jimmer...
- Rock On: A bad day gets worse for Whittingham
- Dick Harmon: Aggies will give BYU best shot...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- 13th-ranked Utes go south, drop pivotal... 128
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 55
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes disappoint but not... 52
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 49
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 45
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 41
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Live updates: No. 13 Utah takes on UCLA... 35