Writer suggests Democrats — not Mitt Romney — have a Mormon problem
Conservatives say the media has a Mormon problem instead
"Attacking a candidate's religion is out of bounds, and our campaign will not engage in it, and we don't think others should either," Obama spokeswoman Lis Smith told The Daily Beast.
Journalists and conservative bloggers have suggested that voters may be far less interested in Romney's religion than the media likes to portray.
"Mitt Romney doesn't have a religion problem," The Lonely Conservative blog stated. "The liberal media does."
In a Twitter conversation, David Freddoso of the Washington Examiner asked, "Are voters really talking about Romney's Mormonism, or are journalists just writing about voters possibly talking about it?"
National Review's Jonah Goldberg responded, saying, "Or are reporters asking voters about Mormonism and then writing 'voters are talking Mormonism' pieces?"
"If I ask you about albino zombies and you say 'Huh?' I can then write piece 'Freddoso asking questions about albino zombies,'" Goldberg continued.
"And voters are beginning to ask serious questions about whether Romney is, in fact, an albino zombie," Freddoso concluded.
"While it's not clear just how much success these off-line attempts to delegitimize Romney will have, there's little question that a strategy to brand Romney as 'weird' has been a talking point inside some high Democratic circles since last summer," Jonathan Tobin wrote at Commentary Magazine. "The trick will be to allow President Obama, whose supporters treated all efforts to vet his associations with radical figures as racism four years ago, to stay above the fray while others throw mud at Romney."
- Leaving rates alone, Fed sees ultra-slow pace...
- 'Star Trek' actor Anton Yelchin dies in car...
- Dustin Johnson wins US Open at Oakmont for...
- Record-breaking heat scorches the Southwest
- Clashes between police, teachers leave 4 dead...
- James and Cavaliers win thrilling NBA Finals...
- NBC to unveil new theme song for 'Sunday...
- Pound surges amid apparent support for UK to...
- Immigration ruling called hurtful, a... 71
- Mormon youth leader dies on trek outing... 70
- Preventing mass shootings? Utah... 67
- Nearly 70 percent of Utahns say Donald... 62
- Dems stage election-year sit-in on... 46
- Poll: Trump up over Clinton in Utah,... 42
- Democrats end 25-hour plus protest to... 30
- Chaffetz: I'm going to be 'kid in a... 29