Writer suggests Democrats — not Mitt Romney — have a Mormon problem
Conservatives say the media has a Mormon problem instead
"Attacking a candidate's religion is out of bounds, and our campaign will not engage in it, and we don't think others should either," Obama spokeswoman Lis Smith told The Daily Beast.
Journalists and conservative bloggers have suggested that voters may be far less interested in Romney's religion than the media likes to portray.
"Mitt Romney doesn't have a religion problem," The Lonely Conservative blog stated. "The liberal media does."
In a Twitter conversation, David Freddoso of the Washington Examiner asked, "Are voters really talking about Romney's Mormonism, or are journalists just writing about voters possibly talking about it?"
National Review's Jonah Goldberg responded, saying, "Or are reporters asking voters about Mormonism and then writing 'voters are talking Mormonism' pieces?"
"If I ask you about albino zombies and you say 'Huh?' I can then write piece 'Freddoso asking questions about albino zombies,'" Goldberg continued.
"And voters are beginning to ask serious questions about whether Romney is, in fact, an albino zombie," Freddoso concluded.
"While it's not clear just how much success these off-line attempts to delegitimize Romney will have, there's little question that a strategy to brand Romney as 'weird' has been a talking point inside some high Democratic circles since last summer," Jonathan Tobin wrote at Commentary Magazine. "The trick will be to allow President Obama, whose supporters treated all efforts to vet his associations with radical figures as racism four years ago, to stay above the fray while others throw mud at Romney."
- 5 things to know about the Super Bowl and sex...
- US adds just 151k jobs in January; 4.9...
- Manhattan crane topples into street killing...
- Florida readies for a fight with Zika virus
- Va. Tech murder suspects left few clues to...
- This week in history: John C. Frémont is...
- Once a bromance, now a brawl: Trump and Cruz...
- Brazil health official confirm Zika spread...
- US adds just 151k jobs in January; 4.9... 27
- Cruz tops Trump in Iowa; Clinton,... 22
- Obama pushes for every child to learn... 21
- Cruz, Rubio eye NH momentum as Dems... 15
- Donald Trump calls for Iowa election... 14
- Americans are packing classes in how to... 12
- Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul quits 2016 GOP... 12
- Once a bromance, now a brawl: Trump and... 10