VANCOUVER, British Columbia — Jarret Stoll beat Cory Schneider with a wrist shot at 4:27 of overtime to give the Los Angeles Kings a 2-1 victory over Vancouver on Sunday night, knocking out the top-seeded Canucks in five games in the Western Conference first-round series.
Stoll scored from the left wing after a turnover at Vancouver blue line. The forward skated in on a 2-on-1, but took the shot himself, picking the top-left corner above Schneider's blocker.
Brad Richardson tied it for Los Angeles at 3:21 of the third period, and Jonathan Quick made 26 saves.
Henrik Sedin opened the scoring for Vancouver with a power-play goal in the first period.
Schneider made 35 saves in his third straight start after Roberto Luongo lost the first two games.
The Kings will play the second-seeded St. Louis Blues in the second round.
The Canucks dropped out in the first round after leading the NHL in regular-season points for the second straight year. Last season, they lost to Boston in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals.
FLYERS 5, PENGUINS 1: At Philadelphia, Claude Giroux wrapped up a dominant series with his sixth goal, Ilya Bryzgalov had his first outstanding effort in net and Philadelphia beat Pittsburgh to win the Eastern Conference opening-round series in six games.
Giroux scored 32 seconds into the game, and the Flyers rolled from there. In a series where no lead was safe, the Flyers scored the first three goals and made it stand behind Bryzgalov and stout defense.
BRUINS 4, CAPITALS 3 (OT): At Washington, Tyler Seguin scored at 3:17 of overtime, Tim Thomas made 36 saves, and defending Stanley Cup champion Boston beat Washington to force a seventh game in the Eastern Conference series.
Game 7 is Wednesday night in Boston.
In overtime, David Krejci intercepted a pass by Nicklas Backstrom and sent the puck to Milan Lucic, who passed ahead to Seguin.
- AP source: Lincecum completes $2.5 million...
- RSL's Kyle Beckerman named to USMNT's Copa...
- Exaggerator finally beats Nyquist, wins...
- DeRozan, Raptors end Cavaliers' streak with...
- 20 years ago: Utah Jazz drop heartbreaker to...
- 2 Indian climbers missing on Mount Everest...
- While Djokovic, Williams wait, Wawrinka gets...
- Risks in climbing Everest in focus as 3 die,...
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 84
- Softball: Utah advances to regional... 35
- Utah defensive lineman reportedly... 24
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 22
- Video: 100 days until college football... 21
- Utah softball beats Kentucky, 5-3, to... 16
- Kyle Collinsworth to work out for... 10
- UCLA agrees to 15-year deal with Under... 9