VANCOUVER, British Columbia — Jarret Stoll beat Cory Schneider with a wrist shot at 4:27 of overtime to give the Los Angeles Kings a 2-1 victory over Vancouver on Sunday night, knocking out the top-seeded Canucks in five games in the Western Conference first-round series.
Stoll scored from the left wing after a turnover at Vancouver blue line. The forward skated in on a 2-on-1, but took the shot himself, picking the top-left corner above Schneider's blocker.
Brad Richardson tied it for Los Angeles at 3:21 of the third period, and Jonathan Quick made 26 saves.
Henrik Sedin opened the scoring for Vancouver with a power-play goal in the first period.
Schneider made 35 saves in his third straight start after Roberto Luongo lost the first two games.
The Kings will play the second-seeded St. Louis Blues in the second round.
The Canucks dropped out in the first round after leading the NHL in regular-season points for the second straight year. Last season, they lost to Boston in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals.
FLYERS 5, PENGUINS 1: At Philadelphia, Claude Giroux wrapped up a dominant series with his sixth goal, Ilya Bryzgalov had his first outstanding effort in net and Philadelphia beat Pittsburgh to win the Eastern Conference opening-round series in six games.
Giroux scored 32 seconds into the game, and the Flyers rolled from there. In a series where no lead was safe, the Flyers scored the first three goals and made it stand behind Bryzgalov and stout defense.
BRUINS 4, CAPITALS 3 (OT): At Washington, Tyler Seguin scored at 3:17 of overtime, Tim Thomas made 36 saves, and defending Stanley Cup champion Boston beat Washington to force a seventh game in the Eastern Conference series.
Game 7 is Wednesday night in Boston.
In overtime, David Krejci intercepted a pass by Nicklas Backstrom and sent the puck to Milan Lucic, who passed ahead to Seguin.
- The 1990 NBA draft redone: See how a pair of...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback Austin...
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up...
- Syracuse sophomore Hunter Woodhall chases...
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby player...
- Utah Jazz: Terry Rozier’s toughness...
- Amy Donaldson: It's easy for this working...
- Links: BYU gets a new commitment; Utes are...
- Links: BYU gets a new commitment; Utes... 43
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 41
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 35
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders... 31
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 15
- Morning links: SI features Frank... 11
- Morning links: Who are the Jazz taking... 10