Don Ryan, Associated Press
PORTLAND, Ore. — An own goal spoiled Sporting Kansas City's quest for an eighth straight victory.
Chance Myers' headed the ball into his own goal in the 41st minute against the Timbers for a 1-0 Portland upset on Saturday night at Jeld-Wen Field.
Sporting KC opened the season with seven straight wins and was Major League Soccer's only undefeated team heading into the match against the struggling Timbers. The record for most victories to start a season is 12, set by the Los Angeles Galaxy in 1996, the league's inaugural year.
The victory snapped a four-game losing streak for Portland, who hadn't won since a 3-1 victory at home over Philadelphia in the season opener.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 29
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 24
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 21
- AP All-Americans: Utah's Wright named... 19