Don Ryan, Associated Press
PORTLAND, Ore. — An own goal spoiled Sporting Kansas City's quest for an eighth straight victory.
Chance Myers' headed the ball into his own goal in the 41st minute against the Timbers for a 1-0 Portland upset on Saturday night at Jeld-Wen Field.
Sporting KC opened the season with seven straight wins and was Major League Soccer's only undefeated team heading into the match against the struggling Timbers. The record for most victories to start a season is 12, set by the Los Angeles Galaxy in 1996, the league's inaugural year.
The victory snapped a four-game losing streak for Portland, who hadn't won since a 3-1 victory at home over Philadelphia in the season opener.
- Past few days 'difficult' for former...
- Defending champ Serena Williams at Wimbledon...
- Chile wins 2nd straight Copa America title as...
- Messi's retirement from Argentina could hurt...
- Most common names of NBA players this season
- Injured Lochte plows ahead in 200 free at US...
- Djokovic beat James Ward to open bid for 5th...
- Durant, Anthony lead US Olympic basketball team
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 82
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 62
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 51
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- 10 takeaways from BYU football media day 25
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 20
- Utah football: Williams, McCormick... 20