"Pena charged 500,000 pesos ($280) for the same thing," driver Marcos Miranda objected after a two-hour hire before resignedly accepting the equivalent of $30.
Yet Pena also broke a code of silence that protects sex workers and others, including cabbies, who take a cut of their earnings in exchange for finding clients, several drivers said privately.
Pena sounded distressed Friday before Colombian prosecutors called him in for questioning.
By Saturday, Pena's dizzying ride helping the media was over.
His one-story house in a lower-middle class neighborhood, where his 68-year-old mother sells gelatin desserts and flavored ice through barred windows, was shuttered and sealed with a padlock.
The woman known has Dania, meanwhile, has retained a lawyer named Marlon Betancourt, who has refused requests by The Associated Press for comment. But he told another news organization that his client expects to sue the Secret Service agent for abusive behavior.
And his client intends to sell her story.
A police officer at the prosecutor's office, who was not authorized to be quoted by name, predicted big things for "Dania."
"She's going to be famous," he said. "Just wait. She'll be on the cover of Playboy magazine."
Associated Press writers Pedro Mendoza and Marko Alvarez in Cartagena and Vivian Sequera in Bogota contributed to this report.
Frank Bajak on Twitter: http://twitter.com/fbajak
- Student who sued parents to get them to...
- New York apartment buildings collapse in...
- In Ukraine's east, some beg for Russian iron...
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed...
- 'Burger King baby' now seeks birth mom on...
- Last words from missing Malaysia Airlines...
- 'Noah' banned in three countries weeks before...
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of earthquake,...
- Senate Democrats choose election... 21
- 'Noah' banned in three countries weeks... 18
- Supreme Court sides with Wyoming... 16
- Obama economists: Rosier picture if... 14
- Utah among states wrestling with... 11
- Survey: Uninsured rate drops from 17.1... 9
- Oil slick not from missing Malaysian... 9
- Senate investigation of CIA dogged by... 9