Oxford Eagle, Bruce Newman) MAGS OUT, NO SALES, MANDATORY CREDIT, Associated Press
OXFORD, Miss. — Mississippi junior Bo Wallace completed 16 of 26 passes for 240 yards, two touchdowns and an interception to lead the Red team over the Blue 24-23 in overtime during Saturday's Grove Bowl at Vaught-Hemingway Stadium.
Wallace and junior Barry Brunetti have been competing for the starting job all spring. Brunetti completed 4 of 10 passes for 62 yards and also rushed for 109 yards on 14 carries.
First-year coach Hugh Freeze said both quarterbacks had good moments during the two-hour spring game and the competition would likely extend into preseason practice during August. Freeze also said he could see a scenario where both quarterbacks would play a considerable role in the fall.
Vincent Sanders caught five passes for 89 yards. Ja-Mes Logan and Donte Moncrief both had two touchdown catches.
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- BYU-Memphis an 'intriguing' bowl matchup
- Sunday morning QB: Stars and stats from No....
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- BYU coach Shawn Olmstead provided calming...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 62
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 51
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28
- Brad Rock: This is where conference... 25