Felice Calabro', Associated Press
ROME — Udinese goalkeeper Samir Handanovic saved a penalty in a 0-0 draw at Chievo Verona on Saturday that kept his club in contention for Champions League qualification, as Serie A resumed a week after Piermario Morosini's death.
Handanovic dove to his right and blocked Cyril Thereau's spot kick in the 43rd minute, and Chievo was also unlucky when United States international Michael Bradley hit the post with a long shot four minutes in.
Udinese moved within two points of third-place Lazio, which on Sunday hosts a Lecce squad battling to avoid relegation. Chievo remained mid-table.
Also, Parma coach Roberto Donadoni got a measure of revenge in a 3-0 win over Cagliari, which fired him before the season began.
Sebastian Giovinco gave Parma the lead in the 24th and Sergio Floccari and Stefano Okaka added penalties in the 73rd and 90th.
Parma moved seven points clear of the drop zone, while Cagliari remained just four points above danger.
Later, it's Catania vs. Atalanta and Napoli vs. Novara.
On Sunday, Juventus hosts Roma looking to protect its one-point lead over AC Milan, which is also at home against Bologna.
Morosini collapsed and died after suffering cardiac arrest during Livorno's match at Pescara in Serie B last weekend, prompting all of last weekend's first-division matches to be canceled.
A minute of silence was held before each of Saturday's matches in Morosini's honor, and there were numerous tributes at stadiums in all divisions.
In Parma, the minute of silence was accompanied by long applause as a photo of Morosini was posted on the scoreboard and a banner in Parma's yellow and blue said "Ciao Moro."
There was a similar scene in Verona, where Udinese forward Antonio Di Natale had Morosini's No. 25 on his captain's armband. Morosini was on loan from Udinese.
- BYU football notebook: Team captains named,...
- Nebraska hoping for balanced offense attack...
- Morning links: Will Michigan beat Utah? BYU?;...
- Dick Harmon: Who will face toughest QBs this...
- The top 25 NBA players under 25: Where do...
- Utah football: The Michigan Wolverines in 6...
- Take expletives, not religion, out of football
- NFL cuts tracker (updated): Former BYU WR...
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 95
- BYU football notebook: Team captains... 43
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU... 31
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 31
- Cougars looking for special season with... 29
- Take expletives, not religion, out of... 27
- BYU football: With opener one week... 23
- Dick Harmon: Who will face toughest QBs... 22