Mark Humphrey, Associated Press
PITTSBURGH — Steve Sullivan, Jordan Staal and Tyler Kennedy scored and the Pittsburgh Penguins fended off elimination with a 3-2 comeback victory over the Philadelphia Flyers on Friday night in Game 5 of the Eastern Conference quarterfinal series.
Marc-Andre Fleury made 24 saves — including a series of big stops in the third period — to help Pittsburgh cut Philadelphia's lead to 3-2 in the best-of-seven series.
Game 6 is Sunday in Philadelphia.
Matt Carle and Scott Hartnell scored power-play goals in the first period for Philadelphia, but the Flyers failed to close out Pittsburgh for the second straight game.
Ilya Bryzgalov stopped 20 shots.
Following four wild games that featured a record 45 goals, the teams played something more closely resembling playoff hockey.
PREDATORS 2, RED WINGS 1: At Nashville, Tenn., David Legwand scored 13 seconds into the third period, and Nashville advanced to the Western Conference semifinals with a Game 5 victory over Detroit.
The fourth-seeded Predators capped a season in which they finished ahead of their Central Division rival for the first time by beating the Red Wings for the first time in their third playoff series. Nashville made it even sweeter by handing the Red Wings their earliest postseason departure since a six-game first-round loss to Edmonton in 2006.
Legwand added an assist, and Alexander Radulov also had a goal and assist for Nashville. The team that scored first won each game, and that was Nashville again.
Jiri Hudler scored for Detroit, which heads into the summer having lost three straight waiting to see if captain Nicklas Lidstrom has played his last game after 20 seasons.
- Boise State blasts BYU 55-30, Mendenhall...
- Keeping it rolling: Utes top Trojans in a...
- Dick Harmon: Boise State embarrasses a...
- Plenty of blame to go around for Cougars...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense needs Bronco...
- High school football: State tournament pairings
- Utah State Aggies lose another QB, but hold...
- Utah-USC: Battle of ranked teams at...
- Boise State blasts BYU 55-30,... 114
- Dick Harmon: Utes climb on big stage;... 75
- Dick Harmon: Boise State embarrasses a... 61
- Utes picked to finish 2nd in Pac-12... 24
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 21
- BYU walk-on Carter makes most of... 19
- Beast mode: Utah running back Devontae... 18
- BYU-Boise State game expected to... 16