CORALVILLE, Iowa — The U.S. Olympic Team Trials could have been a final showcase for the elder statesmen of American wrestling.
Instead, this weekend's meet in Iowa City is shaping up to be a celebration and validation of the nation's vibrant young talent.
Former champions Cael Sanderson, Kurt Angle and Rulon Gardner are out. Youngsters Jordan Burroughs and Jake Varner are in — and even 2008 gold medalist Henry Cejudo is a relative comeback kid at just 25.
Gardner declined to discuss why he didn't weigh in on Friday. But he was always a longshot to get past longtime friend and rival, Dremiel Byers.
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- Dick Harmon: John Beck very impressed with...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle Whittingham...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- BYU's worldwide fan base highlighted in...
- Brad Rock: Jazz dreaming of a Blazing future
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 103
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 75
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 64
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 45
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog:... 27