CORALVILLE, Iowa — The U.S. Olympic Team Trials could have been a final showcase for the elder statesmen of American wrestling.
Instead, this weekend's meet in Iowa City is shaping up to be a celebration and validation of the nation's vibrant young talent.
Former champions Cael Sanderson, Kurt Angle and Rulon Gardner are out. Youngsters Jordan Burroughs and Jake Varner are in — and even 2008 gold medalist Henry Cejudo is a relative comeback kid at just 25.
Gardner declined to discuss why he didn't weigh in on Friday. But he was always a longshot to get past longtime friend and rival, Dremiel Byers.
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 80
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 62
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 40
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 34