BRIGHAM CITY — The Brigham City Utah Temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will be dedicated Sunday, Sept. 23, according to an announcement late Thursday by the church's First Presidency.
The dedication will take place during three dedicatory sessions, which will be broadcast to congregations of the church within the temple district.
Before the dedication, the temple will be open for public tours during a special temple open house from Aug. 18 through Sept. 15. Open house tours will not be conducted on Sundays or on Sept. 8.
Tickets for the open house will be available beginning July 30 at www.BrighamCityMormonTemple.org.
Church officials said the dedication of the new temple will also be commemorated with a cultural celebration featuring music and dance Sept. 22.
The new temple, the 14th LDS temple to be built in Utah, is located on a downtown block of Brigham City's Main Street, known as Central Square — directly west of the old Box Elder Tabernacle. It is built on a site previously occupied by Central Elementary School, which President Boyd K. Packer of the LDS Church Quorum of the Twelve Apostles attended as a boy.
The new temple is white, made of precast concrete limestone and features two spires similar to the church's iconic Salt Lake Temple. According to President Packer, who presided at the temple's groundbreaking in July, 2010, "it will be a beacon from all over the valley."
Once the Brigham City Utah Temple is dedicated, it will be open to members of the church who have been recommended by their ecclesiastical leaders. The temple district includes some 40,000 Latter-day Saints living in 13 stakes of the church in northern Utah and southeastern Idaho.
- Normons: A site to prove just how normal...
- LDS teacher mourns loss of two former...
- Wright Words: What do you tell a prospective...
- 'Walking Dead,' 'Doctor Who' stars attend...
- The story behind the missionary reality TV...
- LDS Easter video viewed over 5 million times
- New Jersey lawsuit seeks to ban Pledge of...
- New study by sociologist Mark Regnerus...
- How much did President Obama donate to... 51
- Normons: A site to prove just how... 33
- Half of Americans skeptical of Big Bang 30
- Wright Words: What do you tell a... 24
- 'Because of Him': LDS video on Christ... 23
- New Jersey lawsuit seeks to ban Pledge... 21
- LDS Easter video viewed over 5 million... 17
- Most voters favor prayer, minus Jesus,... 16