BRIGHAM CITY — The Brigham City Utah Temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will be dedicated Sunday, Sept. 23, according to an announcement late Thursday by the church's First Presidency.
The dedication will take place during three dedicatory sessions, which will be broadcast to congregations of the church within the temple district.
Before the dedication, the temple will be open for public tours during a special temple open house from Aug. 18 through Sept. 15. Open house tours will not be conducted on Sundays or on Sept. 8.
Tickets for the open house will be available beginning July 30 at www.BrighamCityMormonTemple.org.
Church officials said the dedication of the new temple will also be commemorated with a cultural celebration featuring music and dance Sept. 22.
The new temple, the 14th LDS temple to be built in Utah, is located on a downtown block of Brigham City's Main Street, known as Central Square — directly west of the old Box Elder Tabernacle. It is built on a site previously occupied by Central Elementary School, which President Boyd K. Packer of the LDS Church Quorum of the Twelve Apostles attended as a boy.
The new temple is white, made of precast concrete limestone and features two spires similar to the church's iconic Salt Lake Temple. According to President Packer, who presided at the temple's groundbreaking in July, 2010, "it will be a beacon from all over the valley."
Once the Brigham City Utah Temple is dedicated, it will be open to members of the church who have been recommended by their ecclesiastical leaders. The temple district includes some 40,000 Latter-day Saints living in 13 stakes of the church in northern Utah and southeastern Idaho.
- Hundreds of teens in Southern California go...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- Watch a video tribute to Sister Frances B....
- Mormon NFL safety Eric Weddle: Balancing...
- Hundreds of volunteers tackle service...
- Tips for getting — and keeping —...
- Reader voices: Mother promised I wouldn't be...
- LDS missionary 'stable' following hit-and-run...
- Mormon NFL safety Eric Weddle:... 66
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet,... 65
- New Harmony: The mainstreaming of... 45
- Elder Oaks promotes strengthening the... 26
- Community of Christ recommends... 18
- Hundreds watch as Angel Moroni statue... 16
- LDS Church is smart to reach out to... 13
- LDS Meridian Idaho Temple artist's... 11