And the 2011-12 Jazz have.
"It's been tough at times. We've had some great successes at times, but it's been a good journey," said Corbin, who is 41-50 as Utah's bench boss since replacing Sloan in February 2011. "It's been a great learning road for all of us, not just for the players, but for ourselves, our coaching staff, in figuring out who we are, who we're trying to be and where we need to go.
"All the lessons have been great lessons for us to get now," he added, "and as we move forward we'll use those lessons."
Losses usually accompany the educational experiences in which the Jazz didn't smoothly execute or play energetic team defense.
Losing after overlooking a so-called lesser opponent — or at least not playing well — is another hard lesson the Jazz have learned the tough way this season on a few occasions and most recently in New Orleans (again).
That's why Wednesday's big win in Portland — 112-91 over a shell of a Blazers' squad — might have been a monumental step forward for this team that Corbin says continues to learn on the fly.
Instead of taking the win for granted, Utah went out and grabbed it.
That's what Corbin and players say they have to do with the remaining schedule.
"It's satisfying. We're not settling for this," Jefferson said. "Three hard games coming up, so it's good to be in this position. It's great. Out of all the things that we've been through (and) injuries. … The key is to go in there and just finish the season off right."
The best part: They get to try to do it in front of 19,911 supportive and screaming fans at EnergySolutions Arena, where they have a stellar 22-8 record.
This final playoff push begins Saturday versus Orlando.
"We've got three games at home, (where) we play well," Jazz point guard Devin Harris said. "We put ourselves in a nice position, but we've still got to go out and play the games."
And, just to be safe, win them all.
"We're in the mix," Corbin said, "and we just have to take care of our business."
You can imagine what the smiles and laughs in that locker room will be like if that happens.
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- Dick Harmon: Sitake is taking advantage of...
- BYU's Kaufusi, selected in 3rd round of NFL...
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL draftee
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley paying a...
- 2016 NFL draft: Southern Utah's Miles...
- Niumatalolo and Navy make another trip to the...
- No home games for 7 weeks? RSL explains why a...
- Morning links: BYU's Eric Mika returns... 91
- BYU basketball: Cougars to play USC... 49
- Having freshman QBs is a mixed bag for... 23
- BYU's Kaufusi, selected in 3rd round of... 22
- Oakland Raiders owner says he will... 20
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL... 17
- 2016 NFL draft: Local players who might... 14
- Guest commentary: BYU football and... 12