And the 2011-12 Jazz have.
"It's been tough at times. We've had some great successes at times, but it's been a good journey," said Corbin, who is 41-50 as Utah's bench boss since replacing Sloan in February 2011. "It's been a great learning road for all of us, not just for the players, but for ourselves, our coaching staff, in figuring out who we are, who we're trying to be and where we need to go.
"All the lessons have been great lessons for us to get now," he added, "and as we move forward we'll use those lessons."
Losses usually accompany the educational experiences in which the Jazz didn't smoothly execute or play energetic team defense.
Losing after overlooking a so-called lesser opponent — or at least not playing well — is another hard lesson the Jazz have learned the tough way this season on a few occasions and most recently in New Orleans (again).
That's why Wednesday's big win in Portland — 112-91 over a shell of a Blazers' squad — might have been a monumental step forward for this team that Corbin says continues to learn on the fly.
Instead of taking the win for granted, Utah went out and grabbed it.
That's what Corbin and players say they have to do with the remaining schedule.
"It's satisfying. We're not settling for this," Jefferson said. "Three hard games coming up, so it's good to be in this position. It's great. Out of all the things that we've been through (and) injuries. … The key is to go in there and just finish the season off right."
The best part: They get to try to do it in front of 19,911 supportive and screaming fans at EnergySolutions Arena, where they have a stellar 22-8 record.
This final playoff push begins Saturday versus Orlando.
"We've got three games at home, (where) we play well," Jazz point guard Devin Harris said. "We put ourselves in a nice position, but we've still got to go out and play the games."
And, just to be safe, win them all.
"We're in the mix," Corbin said, "and we just have to take care of our business."
You can imagine what the smiles and laughs in that locker room will be like if that happens.
- Former Cougar star Jackson Emery shares...
- BYU basketball: Breaking down UMass, Cougars'...
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much money...
- Breaking down UMass, BYU basketball's next...
- Cougars in the pros: Austin Collie re-signs...
- BYU football: Cougars have gotten solid...
- Local NFL watch: How Utah players fared in...
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged to Miss...
- Mike Sorensen: Despite disappointing... 192
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 101
- BYU, Utah State basketball: Second-half... 74
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 60
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 50
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 48
- BYU basketball: 3 players record... 47