Utah Jazz: Point guard Blake Ahearn to be signed for rest of season
SALT LAKE CITY --Go ahead and remove the 10-day contract sign off of Blake Ahearn.
The former D-League sharpshooter's 10-day contract runs through the end of Thursday, but he will be signed for the remainder of the season on Friday.
The point guard will be playoff eligible if the currently eighth-seeded Jazz can hold on and clinch a playoff berth.
Ahearn has appeared in three games with the Jazz, his third NBA team, since signing a week ago Tuesday. Filling in occasionally for the injured Earl Watson, the 6-2 playmaker has scored a total of three points adding two rebounds and one assist in 15 combined minutes.
Watson had surgery in New York City on Tuesday to repair a torn medial meniscus ligament in his right knee. An official timetable for his recovery hasn't been announced, but Watson is done for this season. Utah is left with two point guards aside from Ahearn in Devin Harris and Jamaal Tinsley.
Before joining the Jazz, Ahearn spent the hoops season with the Reno Bighorns and led the D-League in scoring averaging 23.8 points per game.
Ahearn played collegiately for Missouri State, and his family lives in St. Louis. His wife, Ricki, delivered their first baby, daughter Blake, prematurely last month. The newborn remains in the intensive care unit.
Ahearn has joked that this NBA opportunity has helped him earn enough money to buy diapers for his firstborn.
Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin has lauded Ahearn for quickly picking up parts of the team's offense and for playing "aggressive" defense.
"He's just going to continue to get better as he gets more comfortable and know what we're looking for," Corbin said.
The 27-year-old Ahearn has had previous stints in the NBA with Miami and San Antonio.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: DJJazzyJody Blog: Jazzland.blogs.deseretnews.com
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- The Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 8: A Utah...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26