NBA notebook: Charlotte Bobcats coach Paul Silas, forward Tyrus Thomas have altercation after loss
Bob Leverone, Associated Press
The frustration of losing has started to boil over for the NBA-worst Charlotte Bobcats.
A Bobcats executive confirmed there was an altercation Sunday night in the team locker room between coach Paul Silas and forward Tyrus Thomas.
The incident, first reported by Yahoo!, took place after Charlotte's 94-82 loss to the Boston Celtics. It was confirmed by President of Basketball Operations Rod Higgins.
According to the report, Silas took exception to Thomas for fraternizing with some Celtics players and yelled at him after the game. Shouting ensued and the 68-year-old Silas shoved Thomas toward his locker stall and the two were separated.
Higgins says the incident has been handled internally. Silas declined to comment.
When asked prior to Wednesday night's game against Chicago if he and Thomas are on the same page, Silas responded, "we always were."
Thomas has three years remaining on his contract and is owed $26 million by the Bobcats. The team also owes the Bulls a protected first-round pick for Thomas as part of the trade that brought him to Charlotte.
Thomas is averaging just 5.6 points and 3.9 rebounds per game and is shooting just 36 percent from the field.
Thomas said he and Silas have put the incident behind them
CHANDLER OUT FOR SEASON: Denver Nuggets forward Wilson Chandler needs surgery to repair a labral tear in his left hip and is done for the season.
Chandler played seven minutes Monday night against Houston after missing eight games with hip and groin injuries. But further discussions with team doctors determined he needs surgery as soon as possible.
Last month, Chandler agreed to a five-year deal with Denver worth nearly $37 million.
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- College football: Utes wrap up...
- BYU's Arellano makes big impact in win over...
- Dick Harmon: Fredette family discusses...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 108
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 73
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 65
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 61
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34