Tom Smart, Deseret News archives
AN EAR FULL
Remember the '60s phrase, "Stick it in your ear!"
Delonte West does.
Apparently upset about being called for a foul against the Jazz on Monday, the Dallas guard jammed his index finger into Gordon Hayward's ear.
West's explanation: "He just had some lint in his hair. I was trying to get it out for him. I was giving him a wet willy. That's all. We are two warriors. We're out here battling on the battlefield."
Same thing the Duke of Wellington did to Napoleon, right?
Or maybe West has just been watching too many "Three Stooges" trailers.
An unexpected story popped up this week: Carlos Boozer is an iron man.
The former Jazz forward, who missed 28 percent of his games with Utah, is the only Bulls player to appear in all 61 games this year.
Which leaves just three conclusions.
First, he really was hurt during the 138 absences he had in Utah.
Second, he only plays when he feels there's a championship to win.
Third, he thought this was actually an 82-game schedule, not 66, so 61 appearances is about right.
The Marriott Center at BYU is undergoing a transformation.
Lower-bowl bench seating on the north side of the arena is scheduled to be replaced with chairs. Other changes will include a new sound system and renovations to the locker rooms.
Sources say that after the Cougs played in the KFC Yum! Center during the NCAA Tournament, school officials considered renaming their arena the Thank You! Jimmer Fredette Center.
The concessions menu at Washington Nationals games includes the "Red Porch StrasBurger," named after pitcher Stephen Strasburg.
It weighs eight pounds and includes a combination of ground brisket, chuck and short ribs, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, onions and pickles.
Plus you get fries and a pitcher of soft drink.
The bad news: It costs a gut- and budget-busting $59. Oh, and it's 10,000 calories.
In an unrelated story, St. Louis University basketball coach Rick Majerus isn't interested in the SMU job, but is allegedly intrigued about managing the Nationals.
Dallas guard Jason Kidd, 39, missed last week's game against the Blazers for what was termed a "scheduled rest."
Is that anything like the "scheduled maintenance?" section of a car owner's manual?
email: email@example.com Twitter: therockmonster Facebook: rockmonsterunplugged
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- NFL watch: How local players fared in week 14...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 98
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 81
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 68
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 50
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34