Teaching a lifetime of values: A family that serves together raises kids who continue to serve
"I was kind of skeptical at first, but it's kind of cool to see what you can get done," said Benjamin Crane, 11. "Plus," he added, poking Brenden in the side, "This guy's my best friend so it's fun."
Serve at home
Make greeting cards to mail to sick children. Hugsandhope.org posts photos and information about children who are struggling with illness and hoping for some happy mail.
Draw pictures for lonely seniors. Deliver them to a nursing home yourselves or mail them to the nonprofit Color A Smile and they'll distribute them for you. Get more information at colorasmile.org.
Buy ingredients for 80 to 100 sandwiches, assemble them and deliver them to a local homeless shelter.
Put together hygiene kits, baby care kits or school kits. Give the kits to a nonprofit like Church World Service (churchworldservice.org/kits) or The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (lds.org) for distribution.
Serve in the community
Adopt a grandparent. Ask the volunteer coordinator at a local nursing home to match you with a senior then visit regularly. Read, write letters or play games.
Mentor a refugee family. Refugee resettlement agencies like Catholic Community Services can help introduce you.
Pick up litter then take a photo of what you've picked up. Write an essay about the experience, email it to the Nicodemus Wilderness Project and become certified "apprentice ecologists." Get more info at wildernessproject.org.
Deliver meals to the homebound. Meals on Wheels is always looking for volunteers to deliver hot, nutritious meals at lunchtime Monday through Friday. Visit mowaa.org for more information.
EMAIL: email@example.com, TWITTER: elizMstuart
- ACT scores, 2015: A breakdown of each state,...
- Man dies in head-on collision after truck...
- The 25 most educated cities in America: Where...
- Man killed in hostage standoff with West...
- Poll: Utahns would take Donald Trump over...
- UHP locates owner of doghouse that sparked...
- Teen accused of murdering neighbor now...
- Alzheimer's, fall claim life of Elder Keith...
- Poll: Utahns would take Donald Trump... 75
- Planned Parenthood draws support,... 69
- GOP presidential candidate Jeb Bush has... 28
- Doug Robinson: No days off on Utes'... 20
- Commissioner wants new trial as feds... 19
- 'A war on talent': Jobless rate at 3.6... 15
- Herriman residents upset rehab facility... 13
- Stolen identity: Congressman Jason... 12