"I think it's the leadership part of Mark," Holmes said. "He's portraying those leadership qualities of being a guy that's going to be here for a while. By reaching out to me and wanting to spend some time with me and just chit chat and put everything behind us, I think it was a great thing for he and I to establish."
Holmes' tone turned a bit snippy, however, when he was asked about the locker room issues from last season.
"That happened in the past," he said, addressing reporters for the first time since after his benching in Miami. "We're worried about the 2012 season, and if you're not concerned with that, we don't have anything else to talk about."
He also didn't sound particularly contrite when asked if he regretted anything personally about how last season ended.
"Why should I?" he snapped.
Some fans and media speculated that the Jets might look to get rid of Holmes because of the issues, but he said that never crossed his mind.
"Nope," he said, before being asked why. "I signed a five-year contract."
Regardless, Ryan is with his teammates when it comes to putting last season far behind them. He stressed a "new beginning" for the team during a brief meeting.
"I don't care what you call it, a brotherhood, a tribe or whatever," he said. "We want to be special, and I think that starts right now with the offseason program and the conditioning and the OTAs and the minicamp."
Ryan, Mangold and Holmes all believe the Jets' chemistry problems were a learning experience, but it's not something any of them are thinking about now.
"We're not bickering little school children," Mangold said. "We're able to understand that things happen in the moment. This is a new team. This is not the 2011 Jets.
"This is the 2012 Jets, and we're looking forward to making it a much better year than it was last year."
Notes: Ryan said the team has had "casual" conversations about possibly doing HBO's "Hard Knocks" again, but wouldn't discuss it further unless they're officially approached by the cable network. The Jets appeared on the show in 2010, and owner Woody Johnson has said he'd be open to it again. ... Ryan said there's no indication the Jets will discuss a long-term deal with CB Darrelle Revis, who has two years left on his contract.
- Morning links: BYU's Eric Mika returns from...
- Dick Harmon: So, another Kaufusi goes hybrid...
- BYU basketball: Cougars to play USC Dec. 3 at...
- 2016 NFL draft: Local players who might hear...
- Video: Former Ute Steve Smith takes teen with...
- BYU football announces full spring fireside...
- Morning links: 4 Utahns on ESPN 300 football...
- Ones that got away: Players who left the Jazz...
- Morning links: BYU's Eric Mika returns... 58
- BYU receives commitment from Georgia... 48
- BYU basketball: Cougars to play USC... 42
- BYU volleyball: Cougars earn No. 1 seed... 26
- BYU's Kaufusi an intriguing NFL... 26
- Morning links: NFL Draft prospect news... 18
- 2016 NFL draft: Local players who might... 13
- BYU men's volleyball: Cougars close out... 12