Former Westminster basketball player Les Brown signs with Miami Dolphins
SALT LAKE CITY — Former Westminster College men's basketball player Les Brown has signed a contract to play with the Miami Dolphins of the National Football League.
Brown spent three years playing basketball for Westminster from 2006-2009. He left after his junior year to take a job with private equity firm Huntsman Gay Global Capital. He returned to Westminster to finish his degree before leaving in October to work toward a shot in the NFL. Brown participated in BYU's last month where he was seen by scouts from around the NFL, including the Dolphins.
Brown played in 91 games as a Griffin, including 34 starts in his junior year during the 2008-09 season. He averaged 1.8 points and 2.3 rebounds in his career and he ranks eighth in school history with 23 blocked shots. Brown made one of the most memorable shots in school history when he tipped in a rebound before the buzzer to defeat Carroll in a Frontier Conference Tournament game in 2009.
Football was played at Westminster from 1929-1978 except during a five year span from 1943-47. Westminster has had a few players make it into the NFL, but Brown is the first to make it since athletics was fully reinstated in 1999.
- Source: Kyle Whittingham not being forced out...
- Amy Donaldson: South Jordan mom eyes Boston...
- Brad Rock: Silence is the wrong approach for...
- Meet the 21 Utah ties on the NFL playoff rosters
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act together
- Bingham nearly topples undefeated Florida...
- BYU seeks first conference victory when...
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look at...
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 75
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 63
- Source: Kyle Whittingham not being... 45
- Hill, Whittingham meet after football... 41
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act... 39
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look... 22
- Brad Rock: Silence is the wrong... 21
- Dick Harmon: BYU starters lose 3-point... 15